Thoughts on this artifact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this artifact?

Hello this came from the West coast of BC and weighs about 14 lbs..
    Any thought on this would be appreciated

Badger, in my amateur opinion, that screams modern to me. Could be wrong but seems flawless. If that were an actual 3/4 groove axe, it would have to be thousands of years old. Every line on that thing looks machine made yesterday. Beautiful, but way to even and fresh. The polish is also uniform. That wouldn't happen. Let's see what the other think.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Hard stone holds up well, but seems to nice.

We don’t have grooved axes in fla. so I don’t know but why is the inside of the groove polished???just asking it seems like an area where the haft goes ...well I just can’t see an Indian giving it the same polish as the rest of the piece.....curious here fla. boy.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

I totally agree with flintguy......It literally looks machined to me....
      North Central Kentucky

Comment

Do you have any provenance on it?
        Couldn't find a single pic of one on line and the closest I got was a statement saying they were exceedingly rare. Flintguy is most likely right but if there is any way you can get the history on it, it could be legit.
        There is a gentleman here in LaPorte County that collects NW Coastal hard stone artifacts and displays them at the Indiana Archaeological shows. I can't remember seeing an ax but what I do remember is the craftsmanship on his pieces is extremely well done.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

looks modern to me too. Also axes like that with the slant groove are not found that far west. Slant groove axes are usually found around Iowa. I would run from that one it lacks any patina and I agree with what Flintguy had to say about the lines looking machined.

This article in our resource section states that these type axes when actual ancient are rare and have a very small distribution area.
          Arrowheads.com - Largest Indian Artifact Website on the Internet. You can find Native American arrowheads for sale. Buy and sell Indian relics online.
          Last edited by Hoss; 03-05-2020, 03:08 PM.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks guys.
            Much appreciated

Comment

It's a nice piece if you just need one for an example but it doesn't look real to me either.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

• flintguy
                flintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, if I were able get that a reasonable price, I would use it for a home decor piece , nice looking, just probably not real.

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Paperweight to
            Working...
            X