Giant sized Indians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant sized Indians?

Here are some broken points and scrapers we recently found in western KY....but why the heck are they so big...was there a giant race of Indians that I haven't learned about...LOL
    The 2nd pic shows the scraper that is in the bottom row of the 1st pic...being held by my hubby. My husbands hands are rather large so it's hard to tell from the pic but this scraper is at least double the size of the ones we usually find. It measures 4-1/2" long by 2" wide.
    I will try to get some pics taken of the giant sized points we found too but meanwhile does anyone have any thoughts or info on why everything we find in this one location would be so big?
    I appreciate and look forward to any and all comments everyone might have.
    jane

Wow! those are big..Just big ole scrapers and flints..yea lets see the points girl..

Comment

Nice bi-faces!  I think the answer you're looking for is that the size of the tool doesn't determine the user's hand size, but more to do with what they were used for.  If you're shattering bone for it's marrow, you wouldn't want you fingers to get pinched, so you'd use a larger tool than if you were cutting a small piece of sinew.  Also, they would carry those bi-faces along with them, and if they needed a quick drill or point, they would knock a spall off the bi-face and knap one out.  Most were used as tools along the way of making others...

Comment

They are preforms / blanks, not finished pieces.  If you are finding a great number of large bifaces like that, there's a good chance you are on a quarry site.  Usually you will find a ton of reduced cobbles -and- bifaces but very few complete points at these locations.
            It's much easier for knappers to reduce the cobbles down to manageable sizes before transporting or caching them for future use.  That would also ensure that the material was of good knapping quality before taking it with them.  Could you imagine breaking your back taking some large pieces of stone back to your village, only to find out that it was crap and you couldn't do a lot with it?  Quarry sites will tell you a lot about knapping.  If you will look at what they have discarded, you will usually be able to tell why they done it.  You will find hidden fractures, vugs, and other undesirable traits in the stone that will hinder it in knapping.  This is especially true in areas with large amounts of good quality stone.....not so much in lithic poor areas. 
            If you are finding a lot of unbroken, well-worked points in the area as well then it could be a village site.  But if what you are showing right there is a good example of the findings...I would wager it's a quarry location.

Comment

Thanks guys for your replys. You are all a mountain of information.
          I believe this site was once used as a huge campsite. It is situated near a river, which of course they would of needed as a water source and as a means for travel... from the number of artifacts that we have been lucky enough to uncover...most have been tools of one kind or another such as...scrapers, drills, choppers, axes, nutting stones and what I call hammerstones plus the extra large sized points.
          I'm getting the pic together and will post it just as soon as I can.
          Thanks again everyone!

Comment

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/d...-giants-ta.php                  Found this and it may help. Well it may not but oh well. Interesting anyway

Comment

Some of those bigger ones would pass for hoes, just something else to think about. Have you found any pottery on this site?

Comment

Wildhorse...that's what I'm talking bout, if there's something to be learned... you guys know it and are always willing to share it. Very, very interesting link but I wonder if the red-haired giants also lived in KY? Thanks for some interesting info!
                  Spanky...you and I think alike my friend. I wondered if some of them could of been used as hoes or spades. Sounds logical to me! Thanks for taking a look.
                  Hope everyone will give me their input on some other pieces I collected from the same area when I post them later today.
                  jane

Comment

Wildhorse...that's what I'm talking bout, if there's something to be learned... you guys know it and are always willing to share it. Very, very interesting link but I wonder if the red-haired giants also lived in KY? Thanks for some interesting info!
                    Spanky...you and I think alike my friend. I wondered if some of them could of been used as hoes or spades. Sounds logical to me! Thanks for taking a look.
                    Hope everyone will give me their input on some other pieces I collected from the same area when I post them later today.
                    jane

Comment

Working...
                  X