Broken blades or madd on purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken blades or madd on purpose?

Found in Jackson Co, Mo in a creek. I thought I would ask the gurus! I have found many half blades are nice, that I split right down the middle from the tip to the base. I am wondering if they were likely broken Through the heat and all the conditions through the years or if they were intentionally made like this, sort of like a back knife. Most of them are rather thick at the broken spots. I have come across some that were possible points at some point but I would think they would be too thick to be projectile points. Anyone have any ideas? These photos were just very few examples of what I have found. I find a lot of these.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eastern; 03-28-2020, 07:16 PM.
    Jackson County, Mo

Sometimes they just needed a quick knife for cleaning a kill and would use them once and toss them. That way it would be easier to carry it back to camp all cleaned up. I believe that's what you have found. Not all tools were made to last past one use.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Thank you very much for that! I kind of thought that was the ordeal. I believe I may be hunting in some kind of processing area because these tools are everywhere.
      Jackson County, Mo

Comment

I'd like to find a spot like that.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Hi Eastern. My opinion is different than the one previously given. Those rocks are not knife blades and don't appear to be any kind of worked tool. When posting photos and you want us to give an opinion as to what you have then you should put something alongside like a coin so we can tell what size it is.

Comment

I would lean toward the opinion offered by sailorjoe, I don't believe these are casual tools. Some may be pieces of lithics used in your area, but not utilized tools, IMHO...
            Rhode Island

Comment

I agree with Joe and Charlie: It's debitage.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

These photos are not good good representations, sorry. I have boxes of this stuff and a lot of debitage, but I do believe I have some sort of butchering site. I find so many flake blades and what I believe to be utilized flakes but few points. It’s hard to tell in creek finds as they could be battered while tumbling all these years. Thanks for the opinions!
                Jackson County, Mo

Comment

Working...
                X