New to hunting rock shelters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to hunting rock shelters

Hello, I have just started to really search hard for artifacts. I have always looked for arrowheads hunting and have found them while hunting. I just recently got permission from a friends dad to dig in some rock shelters along the head of a river in north alabama. There are about four to five shelters along a rock bluff beside river all of these have been dug in over the years but two trips and 6 hrs later I have found a perfect arrowhead, a scraper/knife and two broke points. Tons of flint flakes. How deep should I be digging and where do you guys usually find them in shelters. I know most people say at the drip line entrance and out front, but it’s a steep sand bank down to the river and some large rock at entrance. Any help I would appreciate.

Maybe a picture of it would help
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Post some pics that would help. Also highly recommend that you screen your dirt . In haste and careless digging points are often overlooked and discarded. It’s Very hard to find bird points by hand digging so best to screen/sift everything even dirt that has been previously dug. Always dig down to the bottom if you are able. You may go through layers of spall from the ceiling or old collapses and there may be older intact layers under the rock. So go as deep as possible. SCREEN !! I use 1/4x1/2 metal lathe and works great.

Comment

Not used to Alabama digging but in Florida I would dig as deep to the hardpan, or until I couldn't throw the dirt out of the hole
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Good for u, sounds like you’re gonna have an adventure!
          Floridaboy.

Comment

I’m new to this site and can’t upload pics for some reason just keeps saying loading. I have been digging where I found first point and have dug down to about 1 to 1 1/2 foot. Moving rock that’s fell from ceiling out of the way also actually was pulling one large rock loose and saw some flakes fall down behind it. The soil is sand and the shelter is sand stone rock so the flint sticks out like a grain of pepper in a salt shaker. I have also found petrified wood in this shelter and I know it didn’t wash inside there so I figured it was used for something not sure yet thou. I’m gonna go back one day next week and hit another spot inside the shelter I saw some dark red flint or stone. And also going to figure out how to upload photos it’s a really cool place and my 5 year old is all about it also.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I can’t get photos to rotate. Even rotated them in my phone and still turn to the side how do I fix this sorry

Comment

Comment

I have nothing in the way of help for digging shelters but those are nice finds, looks promising and welcome to the site.
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I've dug a few shelters over the years. The advice SGT.Digger gave is spot on!
                        Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Comment

Found these two today

Comment

Awesome...nice finds cholt
                              Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
                              X