Authenticating process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authenticating process

Hello all...this is my first post and really just interested in the process of having something authenticated.
    My uncle was an avid arrowhead hunter/collector in Texas and New Mexico. He passed away years ago and my Mother gifted me with a handful some that he left behind.
    I really don't question that they are authentic, but I would just really like to have some documentation for backing purposes. I'm not as interested in the smaller ones, but the larger is my favorite.
    Any input for suggestions on who would be the best for authenticating or if they are worth the expense of doing so.
    Thanks in advance!
    Brady Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	462620
    Last edited by Hoss; 06-18-2020, 03:56 PM.

Smaller ones are modern made reproductions. As for the large one... looks to be to perfect. This is just my opinion. Welcome, from Minnesota ✌️
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Bmar1128
      Bmar1128 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the response...Much appreciated! My Mom was under the impression that he found all of these years ago. This is exactly why I posted this!
      Thanks again!

Welcome to AH.com

Sorry, but I have to agree with Up-North. All of the smaller points are the kind you will see for sale in tourist gift-shops for a dollar or less. They're churned out in volume from places like New Mexico and usually crudely made from rhyolite with no edge-working. The large corner tang knife is obviously more skilfully made but it's clean as a whistle and looks to be a piece of modern knapping. It might have a bit of age, but it will be tens of years rather than ancient. This kind of thing was commonly sold from the 1930s onwards and passed off as authentic native work to inexperienced collectors... and it's still being sold today.
    Last edited by painshill; 06-18-2020, 03:14 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Bmar1128
      Bmar1128 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much!!

Welcome to arrowheads.com Corner tang is not made correctly , it appears to be made on a cut slab of flint. All modern in my honest opinion. With these slb cut blades they are flat in cross section and only beveled at the edges. The notching and the flaking is not correct on that piece.
    Last edited by Hoss; 06-18-2020, 03:59 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Bmar1128
      Bmar1128 commented
      Editing a comment
      If my Uncle found these in a field/pasture, did someone make these 30-40 years ago and dispose of them? Is it common for someone to hunt arrowheads 30-40 years ago and find reproductions made 10-20 years prior? Who would make them and leave them in a field/pasture? This is very interesting!!

• chalk
      chalk commented
      Editing a comment
      totally agree with Hoss

Thanks! Definitely why I came here! If these are reproductions, how long ago were folks doing this? Do arrow head hunters often find these reproductions in fields or was my Uncle pulling one over? I've had these for over 25 years and if they are reproductions, then he got the the last laugh! haha...Thanks again!!

Comment

Welcome, ..Sounds like uncle bought a few items, and thought they were genuine, collectors are still getting taken for a ride, with better examples than that..., hope he was a favorite uncle...P.S. folks 4,000yrs.ago had fakers living amongst em...Right ?
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• Bmar1128
        Bmar1128 commented
        Editing a comment
        haha!! Indeed a favorite Uncle! Unfortunately, he was my Mom's favorite brother!! She's not happy with my phone calls today! Thanks all for the input! I'm more of a sports card and guitar collector...this is all new to me!

Sometimes the truth stings. Pointing out the obvious inconsistencies between modern and ancient pieces only helps to educate everyone in the hobby both the experienced and novice collectors. Thanks for posting the pics and questions.
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

On the small ones. One time a guy I knew was going out west driving a semitrailer. I asked him to pick me up some arrowheads while he was out there. I was thinking old ones when I asked. When he returned he handed me a bag of points. I was excited didn't even look in the bag. I said hey how much do I owe you? He said don't worry about it they were only a dollar a bag. After he left I looked and they were just like yours. So if you don't have much experience in collecting as in purchasing it can happen.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
        X