Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’ve heard about red flags on both of these? I’d appreciate opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve heard about red flags on both of these? I’d appreciate opinions.

Both of these two points have received criticism, I bought both. A knowledgeable collector said the adena appeared restored, due to the change in patina. The same collector said the dovetail looked to have been rechipped. I’m hoping the knowledgeable people here can help maybe confirm or help on this? Also, what does everyone here do if they buy a point only to find out it’s restored or messed with? Thanks in advance everyone.

I've seen buckets of broken points sold at shows just for that purpose of reworking them and resale. I'm not the one to say if that's what you have or not.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

What ?...I’m not seeing a dovetail...First point looks like a tip rechip....No.5 looks right...never 100% positive unless it’s in hand.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• Alexander97
        Alexander97 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I apologize, I’m a novice. I’m sure I mislabeled one of them as a dovetail. Thanks for your help!

If you want to check too see if a point is restored let it soak in acetone, it will not damage the point with natural patina. I also heard acetone is good too check for rechipping because the rechipped area will stand out.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Hard to tell from pictures...

For the restored piece, hold it to your lips and you can usually feel a temp change. Stone will feel colder or hotter than the restored resin area. Or tap it with a coin gently, stone will having a higher pitched ring than resin. I will say, it doesn't look like a piece that someone would pay to have professionally restored. If it was restored, it might have been someone practicing and you could likely see the seem or paint edge.

The rechip, I don't see it but that material likely doesn't show patina as well. But it could be, and rechipping field grade pieces was frequently done by amateurs for practice. (Broken bifaces can be cheaper than raw material in some areas.)

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
        X