Different size/shaped arrowheads found at the same location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different size/shaped arrowheads found at the same location

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with a question? I have found several different points around the same area in Sonoma County, are they all made from the same tribe or traded with others? Thank you for your help !

Point #5 was made by a modern tribe šŸ™‚. If the others are ancient probably by different cultures and time periods.
    šŸœ šŸŽ¤ SW Georgia

Comment

as time and people marched on huge trade networks happened trading flint and other goods. the points you have listed i would say represent artifacts from time periods long ago to a more modern time period. im not saying anything you posted is made in our time just that the time frame of your point type range from many thousands of years ago to a date of many 100s of years ago. man has always traded goods its our human nature and early man traded flint and pretty stones all across this mighty land.

Comment

Your in California? Something doesn't smell right here.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I smell the same thing.

• sailorjoe
          sailorjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          I got a whiff of the same thing.

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
        Your in California? Something doesn't smell right here.
        Agreed. Also that last point is made from obsidian, but it's a modern non-authentic point of the kind you can buy for a dollar or less in most tourist gift-shops.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• antmike915
          antmike915 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't even think the last point is obsidian, check out the notches; they're white. It looks too be made from something white and then painted black.

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Mike the white in the notches is the dust from abrading.

Amazing, the first two look like eastern points.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

• gregszybala
          gregszybala commented
          Editing a comment
          They are!

Most of them are from Kentucky or Tennessee by the material I'm seeing. The last one of course modern. I think someone is planting them for you to find. But they are quality points.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Same location? Is that location a pawn shop?
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Donā€™t Stand for Something, Youā€™ll Fall for Anything

Comment

You have: 1st-Dalton, Ft. Payne Chert, Tn./Ky...
            2nd. Clovis-Hornstone, Oh to Tn....
            3rd. Dalton, Pitken chert, Arkansas.....
            4th. Rose Springs, desert southwest
            5th. Modern obsidian
            4 do look authentic, but not from Ca., if that's where your hunting. So tell us what's up with these???
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Thank you very much for the feedback. Iā€™m not wasting anyoneā€™s time BSing anyone, I was curious about the different types. A large number of the points I find look similar and are rarely whole. The one I posted earlier look completely different from my usual find, tI thought they were traded. . Here are some that I found that have a similar shape. Thank you again-

Comment

Originally posted by Rosaparks View Post
                Thank you very much for the feedback. Iā€™m not wasting anyoneā€™s time BSing anyone, I was curious about the different types. A large number of the points I find look similar and are rarely whole. The one I posted earlier look completely different from my usual find, tI thought they were traded. . Here are some that I found that have a similar shape. Thank you again-
                Did you find the points you showed at the start of your thread? Iā€™m not aware that that would be possible in California, unless someone salted the site with Eastern points. And the obsidian one, the last photo in that group, is modern.
                Rhode Island

Comment

Hang on a minute here. if you're not 'wasting anyone's time or Bsing anyone' then you need to explain exactly what is going on here.

In your opening post, you showed this point with a suggestion (although not a clear statement) that it was found by you in Sonoma County, California:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image_86222a.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	464949

This picture, which shows the same point, is a reference picture of a Clovis from the 'projectilepoints.net' online database:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Clovis 54mm.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	464950

What gives???
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• SDhunter
                    SDhunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pretty impressive Roger

• pkfrey
                    pkfrey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The first Dalton point is pictured there also!!!

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dang, you smart!

How did you find that Roger? Thatā€™s pretty impressive
                  South Dakota

Comment

The gig is up Rosa!
                    South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
                      How did you find that Roger? Thatā€™s pretty impressive
                      I found it with a reverse search via Google Images. Just click on the camera icon to the right of the Google box at the link below (search by image):

https://images.google.co.uk/

You can then upload an image as your search term instead of text and Google will then look for any matching or similar images elsewhere on the web. Doesnā€™t always work (in this case it did) but I find it really useful for things like identifying unknown pieces of art and jewellery.

Comment

• SDhunter
                        SDhunter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Just amazing what a person can do now.

• CMD
                        CMD commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Cool. I have never been able to find matches, or even anything close, using ā€œsearch google for similar imagesā€. Glad to see it does work at times....
                    Working...
                    X