Nutting stone and tool affirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutting stone and tool affirmation

I recently posted a few photos of a cache I found in Ashe County NC. I also found this stone with a spherical indention on one side within a few hundred feet of the cache site. Hoping fingers crossed it was used and a nutting or mortar stone.

The second stone I believe to be some kind of digging tool. I was recently gifted box of rocks from my wife's grandmother after she found it stored in her basement and isn't really sure where it all came from.
    North West North Carolina

First one looks like the top that was held in the hand upside down ,to a bow drill set ,Fire or Drilling.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	30B650D2-5A00-4238-86CA-114F8C359A19.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	472251
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Hard to tell on the first one. Could be or a nutting stone or? Finding artifacts in the same area helps support the likelihood it is something. The second stone is an adze, a little beat up but still nice.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I think the first one is a tool most of your Omar rocks aren't that type of stone. 2and is a nice cobblestone type of celt or Adze
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice artifacts are they polished in the bowl ?

Comment

• CmanBlevins
            CmanBlevins commented
            Editing a comment
            The inside of the bowl is slightly smoother than the outside of the stone

Unusual lines on back of celt/adz would be nice to know it there was a reason for them or just random. Looks like they might have had a meaning.
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Very nice..... adze is a very rare item up in Minnesota anyway...
            Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Nice finds, agree with the assessments. Willjo makes a great point about the lines on the celt, you might want to put a piece of paper over those lines and do a pencil rubbing and see what shows.
              Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Pencil rubbing didn't really show anything unique but my imagination on the other hand begs to differ!
                North West North Carolina

Comment

Working...
                X