spokeshave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spokeshave?

Found this awhile back but saw another post with a similar looking item identified as a spokeshave. This one looks very similar and for the life of me I can't fathom what else this could be. It's about an inch and a half long. Thanks for your input!

Looks like a multi purpose tool, it helps to have a side view, with flint artifacts..I think it’s a neat piec.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

It looks like the basal end of a point that was likely broken in pieces and this is the only one you found. The fact that one edge looks like a spokeshave is just happenstance. Purposefully made spokeshaves are not hard to ID.

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Gonna pm you pics of a quartzite that I think spokeshave (coz chipping on cortex looks so purposeful and forms semicircle. But only seen museums and books, so I dunno...)

Thanks guys. What type of point would this piece have come from do you think? I'm in Louisiana.

Comment

I agree with sailor, it appears to be a base and side of a point that got broken somehow, possibly ancient damage.
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Odd break...... can’t help you as to type.. cool piece
          Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

It looks like what sailorjoe described above. A curve edge doesn't just mean it's a spokeshave.......its the purposeful flaked edge that should give it away. Here's an example of a wind worn Obsidian Spokeshave
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone. Was hoping to identify the piece since I'm having a tough time picturing the type of point this would have been. I'm seeing now that some of these artifacts just don't have an obvious purpose..

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Pm Hal and ask if ha can reconstruct with drawing. He’s phenomenal at that.

Originally posted by Superdup View Post
              Thanks everyone. Was hoping to identify the piece since I'm having a tough time picturing the type of point this would have been. I'm seeing now that some of these artifacts just don't have an obvious purpose..
              Not familiar with points from your region, but it looks like it might have been some type of corner notched point.

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
              X