Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New finds same area. Beautiful black chert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New finds same area. Beautiful black chert.

I was in a new area today... I know one of these is just a tool because of the thickness but what are the other two? One is broken just about in half but looks like it woulda been an unnotched point? The other slender one? Help with type please.
    Hunting in Central Ohio

Looks to be obsidian , so glassy but you know your area and lithics : can’t wait to hear the type for the middle point .
    great finds

Comment

Gotta love that glossy lithic , one looks like a point or blade with a little mid body portion missing of one side. One looks like a nice needle tip triangular point. They could be utilized worked debitage too. I am not enough of judge to say definitively , sorry. Finds I would be pleased with , thanks for a look. Piaget

Comment

• CGriff61
        CGriff61 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks piaget
        The point on the triangle is crazy sharpe! Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts

Going by the picture of all 3 together at the bottom, the top looks like a failed attempt at something, probably something they discarded, the middle piece looks like a triangle (every state seems to have different names for these) and the third looks like a broken hand tool/or preform. The material does look like obsidian. Nice finds Griff 👍
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• CGriff61
        CGriff61 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks mike. I can see what you mean on the top piece. It didn’t look like they finished it whatever it was.

The rough triangle looks to be a Madison type. Although the lithic does kind of look like Obsidian which is unlikely it appears to be Zaleski chert.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• CGriff61
        CGriff61 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry Greg initially I missed that you said Madison type. That seems like a pretty good possibility. Thanks for your help!

Greg nailed the material, Zaleski
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

I didn’t even know zaleski had a different chert type. Makes total sense now I was in that region.

Any way to type / date the triangle?

you all rock! Pun intended 😊
        Last edited by CGriff61; 08-02-2020, 07:48 AM.
        Hunting in Central Ohio

Comment

Nice finds.....keep on the hunt...✌️
          Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

At least one is a graver Griff, maybe two... Both are great scores !
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• CGriff61
              CGriff61 commented
              Editing a comment
              Help me LM-man. I looked back at both of them in hand and I’m struggling with the graver thing. The one that’s broke in half definitely has a tiny graver like tip... do you think they coulda or woulda intentionally have split that to be a graver? Or would it have been repurposed after the scraper/blade broke?

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Gravers are intentional ...

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              We don’t see as many gravers because people don’t recognize them. They pick em up, not a arrow, weird pointed rock, and throw them down..

That shiny high grade black chert there sure is some beautiful material! The small triangle is usually associated with bow and arrow war points from the Mississippian period. Awesome finds!
            SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Keep looking for that black if they had a good source you should find more. My favorite color to find
              NW Georgia,

Comment

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...116222-madison
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• CGriff61
                  CGriff61 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you
                  Do you know how they were used?
                  True dart point?
              Working...