Site Literature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Literature

I'm wondering about where to find literature on specific excavated sites, specifically for MO/IL/KY/AR. I would love to have the Prehistory of Missouri book but I can't justify $300 for that at the moment! I'm sure a lot of this is kept under wraps to make sure nobody loots what may be left of a site, but I'm strictly wanting this information to compare to my sites and to learn. Is there a good place to go to find these resources? I'd love to see the points and other artifacts recovered from sites, but there isn't a whole lot hanging out there on the web. Thanks!

Therein lies the problem Ben...Archeologists verses you wanting to see what they spent your money on..Good luck, Iโ€™m gonna leave it at that...
    Floridaboy.

Comment

You might look up state archaeological societies for the states in question. They may publish periodic journals. In my area, the Massachusetts Archaeological Society publishes a nice bulletin several times a year. There are also many professional journals. As well as popular educational magazines like Archaeology, but that focuses on the entire world.

From the above site:

Last edited by CMD; 08-31-2020, 03:46 PM.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Many universities large and small have archaeological departments. Here in Michigan many have done archaeology studies and surveys of numerous counties and entire regions. I have found online hundreds of these published papers. Reports may include details on topography, geology, types of artifacts found and much more information. Local library history collections, local historical societies and local conservation clubs are all a good source of info. Talking with old timers and farmers canโ€™t hurt either. Just remember that most sites mentioned in a published report are most likely protected by local or state laws so do your homework before you do the leg work. Boy, I kinda rambled on there for awhile. Sorry bout that.
        ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜
        Last edited by Uncle Trav; 08-31-2020, 05:59 PM.
        Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

You can find some out of print stuff on Project Gutenburg. Free downloads. I just typed missouri archaeology in the search and it showed a few . http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/sear...t_search=Go%21
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            You can search titles or I think by authors name . Good luck I like PG iit is an awesome resource.

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, thank you! This is great research tool, my favorite kinda tool (has to be, only coz what I collect best!)
            You can get lotsa great free stuff on Google Play, too.

In NJ some towns do a "Cultural Resource Survey" which examines their local "known archeological zones" both historic and prehistoric. Check local municipal websites.
          New Jersey

Comment

Working...
          X