Flint type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flint type

Does anyone know what type of flint this is? It's the first I've ever found like it. West tn
    Attached Files

Hi dame.- I can't help you with the Lithic Id. because I'm not familiar with your area. The banding on the smooth side is amazing, and would surely make a stunning looking point. Someone will figure what material you have. Thanks for asking. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Looks like high iron content, hard to tell from pics.
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I'm going by memory from many years ago, so this may be wrong: I once got some knapping material sold to me as Dover chert that looked like that. It was kind of grainy and didn't knap real well but I remember those cool looking wood-like markings in it.
        Central Virginia

Comment

Looks like a iron ore type I find in a certain field I use to walk a lot.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

I have heard this stuff called tyrone chert . I have seen some great looking artifacts made of it. I just googled it and found out something interesting and probably why the name was shortened. Geologists call the stuff Silicified Stromatoporoid Chert .

Your photos are out of focus it could also be Buffalo river chert . Both source in Tennessee.
            Last edited by Hoss; 09-18-2020, 11:19 PM.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
            X