Hey Midwest farmers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Midwest farmers....

This is the first year I’ve walked fields. I am so anxious for the corn and soybeans to be harvested and fields turned. Can anyone tell me approximately when harvesting should start and when I can expect to have good searching conditions again? Ohio if the region needs to be specific for this discussion.

thanks in advance!

Hunting in Central Ohio

Well... jump in the standing corn now, while the weathers cool. once they harvest it, the fields a mess... can’t even see bare ground with all the debris. They may not plow it until spring. The beans... there even worse after harvest. At least that’s how it is in my area.... always got the creeks....✌️
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• CGriff61
      CGriff61 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve been hitting it hard when I can.... wait. No it’s been hitting me hard... right in the face😐. I looked like a beekeeper last time I went out... all but eyes covered..lol. I was hoping for some fall hunting...guess that’s out😞. Thanks up north

Maybe wait until the corn dries and yellows... than try.
    some chop there corn for silage, great place to look.
    take a ride out in the country, look for that...✌️
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Fields are best in spring and early summer. A lot of farmers spread manure in fall and turn the fields under late spring early summer. Unless you find a farm the does winter crops. I used to walk one field the guy would plant Broccoli early , harvest and cut it out . Then plow and plant corn. It was a great place to walk.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hi OG. I'm in central Pa. It's been a dry year here. If your corn crop looks like some of the ones here, I would expect that there is going to be a lot of silage cut. If that's so where your at, just wait until the corn is chopped into silage. That clears the ground for hunting. Some farmers around here have already started to cut. So in your area it should start any day. Or you can follow Up-norths suggestion. I've personally found a many an Artifact in standing corn. Although the farmers don't like it much. So what I sometimes do, is to take my bike along to an area I can park unsuspiciously, get on the bike and ride into the field. Another thing I try to do is wait until a windy day so the wind sound drowns out my stumbling around in his standing crops! I know it's sneaky but it works, and a relic hunter has to do what they have to do. Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I farm and you have my cell number, to much info to type
          Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Griff , your a race horse at the derby ! LOL. I understand. I was thinking of the young man that got kilt by a combine think last week. Don’t nap in corn field but I can’t believe the young man was sleeping.... Your going to SCORE !
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

We are starting to cut corn now. Actually last week...
              we are in Arkansas, but corn is corn and even with our wet spring and late Plant, it’s harvest time. It will last for the next six weeks, give it take, based on variety and weather. Beans are a little late this year, so two weeks out before we start cutting the early beans, will cut up through the second week of November unless we have great weather.
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

It's dove season in Ohio... not artifact season. The crops are thick and the streams are down. August, September, and October have been the "dry time" for me every season in Ohio. Things begin to show by November as the farmers get the dirt turned and the rains do their work. If you must look for pointy rocks, try some of the gravel bars in the dried up creeks. I stay outa' the local farmer's crops myself... Mr. Reese gets cranky if he sees you in his beans. Good luck in your search, as for me I collect old bottles this time of year and dream of the smell of fresh turned dirt.
                Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                X