Interesting how right corner is notched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting how right corner is notched

The point on the left was found 1st. Right 2 weeks later 20 yards in fairfeild county sc. I first thought the 1st find on left corner was chipped inadvertently. Crazy how the right quartz has the same notch. What do you think? Bottom right chip
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Scnewguy; 09-23-2020, 03:49 PM.
    South Carolina

Hi Scnewguy. I really think it is coincidental. Unusual I know But both look as if they have the notch damage. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

​ Hello Scnewguy I believe that is a trait of a some of the Savannah River points. My speculation is that these forms were used as knives and the offset shoulders were due the preference of a certain side for cutting. Just my thoughts maybe someone will have some others. Checkout projectilepoints.net several examples have this. Included a pick of some of my examples.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        No pics.

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Hal funny I can see pic fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	331F0D06-94E6-42FA-A21B-234CE29B488B.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	489896
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

I find quartz pieces that are notched on one side but I think your pic might show damage on one side.
        South Carolina

Comment

I think both show damage at the right corner. Points hafted the same way, and utilized the same way, will often show damage occurring in the same place. Obviously, it’s also possible they each sustained a nick on that corner long after they were discarded, in which case it’s simply coincidental. Nice finds!
          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
          X