Popeye Birdstone Possible Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popeye Birdstone Possible Use

This Popeyed Birdstone is made from a high quality white mottled green hard stone that was found near Lake Michigan in Southwest Michigan. It measures 2 1/2” long and 2” tall. This bird never fully developed as it was broken during the early stages of the ancient manufacturing process. Unfortunately it never received the finishing touches such as the polish and drilled holes but it still amazes me just the same. Almost looks like it was used as a pestle or a knapping stone. Don’t beat me up over this statement but “ It fits in the hand perfectly!” It has a good amount of use wear on the “beak” and has the oily look right in the spot where your hand fits for the best grip. Thinking about getting a taxidermist type mount with tag on wooden back like a trophy buck hanging from the wall... What do y’all think about the use on it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	EEF9EA81-A88C-4868-AD6A-64E0C5882B8E.jpeg
Views:	467
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	490759 Click image for larger version

Name:	F2981F21-824C-46C3-80B6-43AEBCF67212.jpeg
Views:	478
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	490758 Click image for larger version

Name:	02D997D0-AE1E-412F-AB7A-B29E3DD97BDA.jpeg
Views:	523
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	490757
    SE ARKANSAS

I think they didn’t waste anything..I have a broken hard stone Celt that was used for knapping, .looks to me like it was slightly used to hammer something...I like the trophy idea, Lol.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

+1 on the trophy mount!!
      North Carolina

Comment

Sweet!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Very cool piece. I’m sure even though broken it still held importance as an effigy. Held, carried and used for what is hard to tell. The birdstones are one of the most amazing and mysterious pieces of lithic art to be found anywhere in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.
          Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Cool piece...... it will look great in a mount
            as for its use...??
            Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Like!
              Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

That's mad cool man!
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Hi Arti,- Did you find this? If so you have a very rare Bird. The truth about Bird Stones is that most of them are fake. This one looks good to me though. My father found a broken one when he was young before some unscrupulous folks started making them. Our State Museum only has a very few that are real. And they even question them. Kim
                  Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Artifascination
                    Artifascination commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They are very rare and hard to find authentic examples. I have seen over 1,000 (minimum) for sale in the last 2 years. The sad truth is only approximately 18-20 of them were undeniably real. The good news is 950+ of the fakes were obvious and could be detected easily without magnification by anyone that has seen an authentic bird. I would say less than 50 of the fakes were manufactured in the correct fashion. Out of those 50 less than 10 of them had a patina that had to be checked under a scope to determine its authenticity. I have been lucky enough to acquire 4 of those beautiful authentic examples so far. A noded eye Birdstone made from a complete bryozoan fossil found in Wisconsin. A Cylindrical eye Birdstone made from banded gneiss found in Illinois. A drilled eye Birdstone made from slate found in Ohio. I guess this one could be considered a Popeye bust Birdstone from Michigan. They all have great provenance and have been evaluated professionally by multiple trustworthy experts. Although it is almost discouraging to wade through all the fakes on the market there are some good ones that exist out there.

Art, you gotta another FOUR (4) Birdstones! I remember your excitement palpably vibratin’ thru the synapses of the internet when you scored first Birdstone. Now, you just calm, cool, ensconced and titled “Collector of Rare and Unique Antiquities of the Native American”! Maybe you thinking in response that your new reserved response as collected Collector is due to this Birdstone being “never fully developed“ and “broken”. Hah! I know you still got the jiggles inside! But, practicing for Museum opening’s gala because you’d look mighty silly jumping for joy in your tux.

Must ask: have we seen the other “eyed” Birds? (How could I possibly have missed those posts!?) As for display type, my very humble opinion is needs to be shown in a context consistent with brothers’ and sisters’. I would suck in my breath audibly and get the jiggles, too, if I saw them all at once! Perhaps my original suggestion for first guy of a genuine gilded birdcage not appropriate (too distracting), but something equally worthy of members of such an incredible flock!

I am so happy for you! And, I’m happy for us....
                  Last edited by Cecilia; 09-27-2020, 11:07 PM.
                  Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Very nice find. Was going to tell you how rare they are but looks like you know that part already. 🙂
                    Central Ohio

Comment

• Artifascination
                      Editing a comment
                      I have a fascination for artifacts especially the mystery behind the history. I really wish we knew way more than what we do.

• flintguy
                      flintguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree. Boat stones, why banner stones have such exaggerated shapes sometimes, artifacts that had the same shape/style for a few thousand years. Aways gets me thinking. Wondering what we don't know.

That is such killer material. I have a broken head from near Plymouth, Ma., and there is an illustration here of a really exquisite example that was excavated in a farmer’s field in southern RI years ago, using the grain in the stone to create the eyes:

I hunt a field in RI where, back in the 1930's, the farmer found a perfect popeye birdstone and gave it to an old timer I knew, who at the time was just
                    Rhode Island

Comment

• Artifascination
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s a really unique type that you have there. Very cool piece. Thanks for sharing!

It's such a rare artifact, I think I'd make a body for it -
                    Pictures and descriptions of several birdstones from several eastern states in the U.S.
                    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Working...
                  X