Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this please? Has it been worked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this please? Has it been worked?

I saw this lying on the surface of a field in Monkton Deverill yesterday whilst out metal detecting. It looks like it may have been worked, but the field is littered with stones and I'm guessing that although the odds are slim, the occasional stone must get shaped by the plough and frost etc over the millennia.
    I'd love to think it has been shaped by human hands....

Welcome to the site. That is definitely worked by human hands, congrats!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from Florida...I’m not an expert on English flaked tools ( which it is, and a nice one at that ) but I know from finding North American ones, that’s what you have...I just don’t know if it’s an Axe, Celt, Hoe or ( Adz which I think it is ) )...it’s definitely a finished piece as evidenced by the re sharpening on the business end, ... Painshill will know what kind of beautiful flint it’s made from, and more details about the piece, and hopefully reply,
      Floridaboy.

Comment

that's a great artifact! was it found in a plowed field? We don't have those kind of rusty stains on things in FL but I see it on many pieces that have been scraped by the plow over the years.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Very nice ancient artifact and a beautiful lithic material.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Go back with detector , leave it at field edge and look for more shaped stones !
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Never sure of how that all worked out, so I suppose the same with all artifacts, stone or AU ? Interesting !

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Anyway my ancestry comes from UK. Burrow name derived from cave dwellers, how appropriate !

• painshill
              painshill commented
              Editing a comment
              'Treasure' has a very specific definition which does not include lithic artefacts. The exception is for lithic artefacts found together with (or which had previously been together with) other metal items which are captured by the definition of 'treasure'. Metal items do not have to be precious metal to be classed as 'treasure'. The definition also includes 'two or more prehistoric base metal objects in association with one another'.

Trophy piece not sure what it is exactly maybe a knife. That's a big boy.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice!!!
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Awesome find!
                SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Beautiful artifact Painshill will know .

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com Pete.

That's a good find and most certainly has been shaped by human hands. It's an axe head (would have been hafted) from the Neolithic or early Bronze Age, circa 3500-1200 BC.

The white exterior is chemical patination from the effects of groundwater absorption at a microscopic level during its burial. That threadlike brown staining is typically from iron carbonate formation in fissures arising in the patina. It’s not necessarily an indication of antiquity… just an indication of which minerals were present in the groundwater.

This side of the pond we don’t really have as many distinct types of raw materials as they have in the States (and certainly we aren’t as obsessive as they are about giving them regional names). Your axe is made from flint of course; there are numerous flint mines and exposures across the chalk deposits of the North Wessex Downs, including the parts of them in Wiltshire, such as the Marlborough Downs. Plus scattered nodules of flint across the whole county. It will likely be local flint.
                    Last edited by painshill; 09-27-2020, 09:12 AM.
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hi Petev H, welcome to the sit. That's a Jolly good find. Kidding, we like to have fun here too. I should say Magnificent. Kim
                      Last edited by Mattern; 09-26-2020, 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling correction
                      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Man, I don’t know what it is, but I really like it. It’s a beautiful tool, and it’s old.

i believe that’s what’s known as a “real Bobby dazzler”...

go back. Find more!👍👍
                        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Welcome from Georgia, nice find 👌
                          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I believe the proper term, ( from binge watching Time Team) is " brilliant".

Welcome from Texas.

Comment

Working...
                            X