Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Pipe?

Hello all.

A co-worker was eager to share a couple of finds.

I was able to help out with the bifurcated point.

However, I knew next to nothing about the possible pipe she showed me. I told her it might even be an insect casing...

Any info would be appreciated. I told her she should join this forum of fine, intelligent and dedicated people.

On a side note...my son Nuther One and I lucked into a really good fall field that gave 8 points!

Flint

northwestern Pennsylvania

All the pipe stems I’ve seen don’t deteriorate like that, I vote on the pipe stem.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Looks like a fulgurite ...
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what i thought also although i had to look up his correct name.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, even I thot Fulgarite, which is cool in and of itself!

Agree with L-M. Clay from our area does not break down like that.
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

It could be root related concretion I have read about sedimentary stones shaped like a trace fossil of plant roots I think it was called concretionary siderite. It looks natural to me . Perhaps a fulgurite as LL has mentioned. A fulgurite is caused by a lighting strike and heats the sediment so hot it becomes glass. Can you see crystal or a glassy look on the interior of that piece?

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
          Flint Eastwood commented
          Editing a comment
          Hoss,

Thanks. There was a little glassy/sparkly luster quality to it.

Agree with Hoss. That looks like a siderite concretion of the kind that commonly form around old plant roots, They don't even need to be anything like fossil age, and can form in tens of years.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hey Flint, I’m betting your co-worker’s interest was sparked by yours. One of the kids who kinda grew up in my house brought his new g’frd and her little son over to look at my rocks, fossils, artifacts yesterday. Both of their eyes got big when I launched into my animated happy-tour!
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I want to thank all of you for your insight.
            I would expect nothing less from this membership!

Maybe I can recruit her as a future member?

Flint
            northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Tell her only few women here, so she’d be special (even if mostly finds buncha JARs!)
          Working...
          X