Artifact conversion theories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifact conversion theories

I started this after reading a previous thread regarding hafted scrapers, and the theories about blunts, stunners and possible broken blades converted into hafted scrapers, ect... because I think it's a great subject to talk about.
    I will admit that when I was young; just started looking and had a little less knowledge about artifacts I heard about the "stunner" theory and thought "I guess it's possible " until I started working with animals (for those who don't know I was a animal abuse investigator, before that a animal control officer). When animals get into the fight and/or flight mentality not much are going to stop them. I've seen and experienced unfortunately having to use retractable batons, tazors, mase and using tranquilizers darts from a rifle; and all the above sometimes have no effect on them; and I'm talking about various size dogs especially ranging from 10lbs Jack Russell's to 100lbs or more Rottweilers and Pitbulls. Anyways since dealing with stuff like that made me debunk the "stunner" theory immediately. I thought that if this stuff didn't effect a common domestic dog how could a blunted rock with a base do anything to what the ancients had to deal with regardless of what material they were made from.
    Hey Joe, I also agree with what you stated that they were made as intended, now if they were made primarily from broken blades; probably not but it's possible that a percentage were. Same goes with drills I think; some were made intentionally as a drill and some blades were converted into a drill.
    I have examples of what I think to be both, I'll post some pictures here in a few minutes.
    Last edited by antmike915; 01-10-2021, 11:40 PM.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Ok... here are some hafted scrapers I think may have been refurbished from broken blades...

Pics 1- 2 same
    Pics 3-4 same
    Pics 5-6 same (biggest I've found, a little over 3 inches)
    Attached Files
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Here are some that might have been originally as...

Pics 1-2 same
      Pics 3-4 same
      Pics 5-6 same
      Attached Files
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Now drills; these I think were made originally as intended...
        Attached Files
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

And these maybe converted from previous points/ blades...

Pics 1-2 same
          Pics 3-5 same
          Pics 6-7 same

Attached Files
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I will be looking and learning. Looking forward to the discussion. Nice examples
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• antmike915
              antmike915 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Glenn, me as well. Nothing like learning from each other. That's what's so great about this forum.

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a few hafted styles but most i find are blade types or oval types

All those stunners as they were called are to big to use on arrow and may be to heavy to use on darts.
            South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• antmike915
              antmike915 commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely agree

Here's another decent example of a HS I think was made as intended. Another fairly good size.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by antmike915; 01-11-2021, 04:20 AM.
            🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Hey Mike, I have a couple of opinions. I think that a lot of so called "stunners" were actually small knives. Many people believe that all the "hafted scrapers" are repurposed points. My opinion on that: If I have a favorite base type that I like for dart points I will use that same base type when I knap a "hafted scraper". A lot of scrapers were in use and many "hafted scrapers" were probably knapped with that in mind. Used up points were most likely repurposed to be used as end scrapers too.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• antmike915
                antmike915 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ron, I agree 100%

• Lone Star
                Lone Star commented
                Editing a comment
                Ron, I agree. I've seen desert cave knives worn down to a nub, and they were still hafted.

Good post and pics... Did you just eat a bunch of sugar...
              Floridaboy.

Comment

• antmike915
                antmike915 commented
                Editing a comment
                Nah, got to keep control of my waist line; my metabolism is not what it used to be. 🙂. To be honest I got a little too hyperfocused on a previous hafted scraper thread.

• Hal Gorges
                Hal Gorges commented
                Editing a comment
                Good for me, I get to see more great Georgia peaches thataway...

Very interesting(and thanks for posting) and some really cool artifacts.
              Missouri

Comment

• antmike915
                antmike915 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks outlaws

Interesting post Mike. I think hafted scrapers were used as scraping tools
              Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Good theory and some nice examples Mike!
              SW Connecticut

Comment

• antmike915
                antmike915 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Red 👍

There are a couple fields down here that only turn up hafted scrapers (blunts) and they have been found in pretty large numbers with celts and adze tools. I assume they were used for wood working and could have also been utilized as a cutting tool. They were found in many different stages (large nearly unused to small used up nubs)
              SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• antmike915
                antmike915 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a area like that as well, I don't go that often but when I do I usually leave with at least one and a few preforms; haven't found a point there yet.

I don't find the kind of based scrapers that people find in other areas. I do find scrapers that have a stems of various types but none that are as realized as points bases. More like nubs or protrusions that could be used to haft on.
              I do find blunted or, more precisely, rounded tips on points from time to time and they are seldom bevelled in the way that would suggest scraping. Not sure what to make of them.
              California

Comment

• antmike915
                antmike915 commented
                Editing a comment
                Tom,I know if you find any made from obsidian they're going to be awesome.
            Working...
            X