Tiny celt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny celt

My Grandfather found this on the surface around 1970, Fayette County, Illinois. This is the smallest celt I have seen.

It appears un used. Could it have been made for a child? Click image for larger version

Name:	84704D58-7370-4B1A-92FA-2C26E883CB56.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	527515Click image for larger version

Name:	39F84EA7-26EA-40F8-9B67-C9CBEC77DF6E.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	527516Click image for larger version

Name:	4DA00074-002D-4596-B345-F0BEF2E33899.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	527514
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

Certainly Charles, The great grandson was in the driveway the other day crushing acorns with a plastic hammer, won’t be long before he gets a real set of tools his size..That’s a beauty.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Hay Charles. I have to say no for a child. I have some very small ones too. I think of them to be for finer use. Something a larger Celt was to big for. Nice one, looks like granite to me. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

That’s awesome! I found one nearly identical and I consider it to be one of my best hard stone finds to date.
        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I've heard people say the small artifacts were for children but I don't really buy it. I think the children had to work just like everyone else did to survive. Nice Celt
          NW Georgia,

Comment

That's a cute one!
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice "little" find.
              Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Looks Adena. Nice celt. Different sized tools for different uses.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice one small or not
                  South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

A very nice Celt... I’ve found 2 about the same size...👍
                    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

I have a few that size or smaller, but that’s a beauty. Probably like SurfaceHunter and Mattern said, just for finer/smaller work.
                      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Found 2 of those next to an old campfire exposed when a large tree growing on top of a stretch of bed rock tipped over and there were many clam shell pairs and the two little hammer heads. The clams were laying in pairs and had a dime sized hole in one side only. I suspect the Clams were cooked in the fire with the hole side up and the hole kept the clams from opening up as they cooked in the coals, I think the small hammers were used to knock the small hole in the shell on one side.

Comment

Looks like an adze, not a celt. Would be hafted differently, and used for hollowing.

Comment

Excellent example 👍
                          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I just love artifacts with even more mystery (than they all have)! Regardless of what this lil’ perfect guy could tell us, I’m glad to know others speculate on the lives of the Peoples’ children!
                            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
                            X