Sandstone Celt? Found in Southeast Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandstone Celt? Found in Southeast Texas

***SORRY I HAD TO POST THIS ON THE WRONG PAGE, BUT THE ID FORUM ISN'T WORKING***

Hello friends,

I am new here. I used to participate on the PROS forum back in the day. I think my handle was MissouriTiger. I don't think I ever signed up here. So, today I did.

I am sorry, but I have tried and tried, and the ID forum page will not upload my photos, and also will not let me submit my post. It keeps telling me to upload photos, but it won't upload them.

I'm seeking ID assistance. I'm from Missouri, but I found the artifact pictured today in Starr County, Texas, in the Southeast of the state, just a few miles from Mexico. I'm a grown man and it is about the size of my hand and made of a hard sandstone. So, it's not hard enough to chop wood, but is definitely hard enough to dig earth. I feel pretty certain it has been worked by human hands, but I am out of my league when it comes to Texas artifacts.

I couldn't upload photos, but you can see a 1-minute video I just posted on YouTube:

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer,

Stymie
    Last edited by Hoss; 01-24-2021, 06:46 PM.

Looks like a nice Mano to me. I will fix the link so it shows up better in your post. Nice find. The metate might not be far from that find.
    Last edited by Hoss; 01-24-2021, 06:48 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      PS Welcome to arrowheads.com

Welcome from east TX.
    east Tx.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the rapid response. If this thing is a mano, the metate must be huge. I will go back and search the area where I found it. I did notice another rock of similar material, but I passed it over, as at a glance it didn't appear to be anything but a natural rock. Otherwise I only found lots of flakes and a crude spear tip.

About a half mile away, I did come across what I believe to be an ancient trash dump: an area apx a square yard that was solid flint pieces. So dense you couldn't see the ground underneath. The flint here represents just about every possible color. I saw black, white, tan, brown, rust, pink, you name it. Sure wish I would find a big old pedernales point or something...

Thanks again,

Stymie

Comment

Oh, by the way. Thanks for fixing my link also!

Comment

Welcome from Florida, a very neat artifact for sure, glad you joined up.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Welcome, from Arkansas.

cool find.
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

The Metate is usually turned over. If there is a big rock of similar material nearby be sure to try and flip it over. That mano is the size of your hand. Mano is a Spanish word it literally translates to hand in English.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I appreciate the welcomes.

I know the metate will be bigger than the mano. How big do you reckon it will be? I'm thinking I didn't see anything big enough. If I find anything else, I will post here.

I need to find a creek to walk...

Comment

Welcome from Georgia
                  🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Working...
                  X