n anyone tell me what this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n anyone tell me what this is?

Hi , I am a amateur treasure hunter. I found this and think it is an ancient hide scraper. (Dad said) It looks like it could have been attached to something. Does anyone know what it is?
    Thank you.

Welcome from Georgia, my 1st impression is natural, it has the shape but I'm not seeing any indication of it being modified by man. If it is anything, it's extremely water worn. I'm not familiar with material from your area, some one will be along shortly to help you out. It might be best to let us know what state it was found.
    Last edited by antmike915; 01-25-2021, 01:49 AM.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Mare
      Mare commented
      Editing a comment
      I will get better pictures soon. In the light it looks like intention chipping on the edges. Found in the Sierra Nevada's in Northern California near a river. Thank you for your input.

It's very water worn, so hard to be sure, but I think it's tool. Basalt or something, most likely. I see what looks like edge-work (scalloping), which combined with shape (including 'flute') and conchoidal property of material helps me come to that conclusion.
    California creeks, even when seasonal, can really wear stuff down. I have lumps of obsidian, that were once tools, but are too worn to ID.
    California

Comment

Working...
    X