Search and you will find something !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search and you will find something !

These are all found in Maryland just off a farm field on a sloping hill facing the river and the morning sun some were on the surface some i dug 6 inches to a foot deep this type of material is very abundant where in hunting. What type of material is this and what am I finding . Some are nice some are rough not sure but don’t think all are just natural rocks.
    Attached Files

The dirty one is cleaned up and is in 2nd picture bottom far right.

Comment

You are picking up rocks shaped like artifacts. It is a common mistake. If you notice , the rocks you have picked up all have dull rounded edges , no edge work that shows serrations or chipping fractures. They are all thick pieces too , not thin like you expect for artifacts. Keep on hunting , good luck ...

Comment

I’ve seen similar stuff when field walking In reddish soil. It seems to be associated with a hardened clay layer or mud rock type of material that breaks up in angular pieces

Comment

Augmonic not all artifacts have serrations and or chipping/flaking.

The place I’m hunting is a known woodland site there has been some archeological digs right where I am and they have found artifacts like mine back in the early 2000’s.
          The style of these NA artifacts are different then most they would work with what they had this material what ever it is Rhyolite? Maybe it was not easy to chip or flake a lot are ground polished and smoothed how can you dismiss the sharp points needle points in some cases and ground smooth sides and bases.
          Attached Files

Comment

So I have a question..if most are not arrowheads or knives which need sharp edges, what are they, I’ve never seen the like....Course I live in Florida and that might explain things.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

• Apache Chief
              Apache Chief commented
              Editing a comment
              Never said they weren’t I believe a lot that I have are arrowheads and knifes some spearheads. They are ground down to sharp edges and points. Look again at my last picture it’s to uniformed to be by accident. On some of mine you can see how they notched it to help haft it. Like I said before maybe these tribes did things different for whatever reason. I wish I could show u and Augmonic in person then you would understand what I’m trying to explain

Apache~ you desperately need to handle some actual points. This is not meant for anything other than helping you, but read...click...read some more , and you will familiarize yourself with the artifacts you will most likely find in your area. Try different methods, because no offense, but the one you are on now is only producing look a likes at best. There is so much info on this site that can help you. Good luck! Except it's not luck. You have to put yourself in position to make luck!!
            North Carolina

Comment

Had me going for a second till I blew them up.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

No comment... lol........👎
              Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

I see one possibility for a artifact... post #5, pictures 4&5.
                🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Sorry chief I didn't mean any disrespect to your post. I'm going to try and explain some for you. Your finds aren't artifacts they are broken rocks from what I'm seeing. I'm not trying to be mean but just being honest. We all have to start somewhere when learning how artifacts were made and what materials were used for what purpose. Keep looking never give up. Read books hopefully you can find another person in your area that has actually found artifacts and can help you learn. I myself at one time had the same problem you are experiencing. I was lucky enough to meet another collector that had much experience. I now have a really nice collection and have learned much so don't give up Keep learning. Best of luck to you.
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

There is a learning curve involved in distinguishing rocks from artifacts, geofacts from artifacts. At this stage, based on your photos, you need to actually mount the learning curve. The biggest thing you need to learn upfront, is to accept the fact that you are mistaken in interpreting your rocks as human altered, and mistaken in identifying them as artifacts. I have 60+ years of experience in the state and region in which I hunt. Many others here also have decades of experience. We are being 100% honest, and 100% accurate in what we are describing to you. Nobody is perfect or no longer has anything to learn. It’s a lifelong learning environment where artifacts are concerned, for all of us. But, your first step is to understand we have far more experience and knowledge than you do. You are not yet at the stage where you are able to distinguish rock from artifact. That’s not a crime, just a hurdle that needs to be overcome. Expose yourself to as many actual artifacts from your region as possible. Recognize the lithic types common to your region. Don’t assume that you are correct in your interpretation. Your assumption is mistaken, and you will hinder learning if you believe you already know enough when you really don’t. This is not intended to diss you, you are not the first to not want to let go of erroneous interpretations.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

This is some of what was found by archaeologists where I’m hunting
                      as u know FR means Frederick. Look familiar some look like just broken rocks !
                      Attached Files

Comment

They look different from what you have found. Even different material.
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

As I mentioned earlier, your best bet is to simply accept that you are mistaken in your beliefs, regarding these rocks, and begin a true learning curve. Trying to convince us that your error is not an error is not going to work. We have much more experience than you do, and you are showing rocks unmodified by humans.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                          X