Ethics: What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics: What would you do?

Interesting scenario played out today. I would love to get as many perspectives as possible.
    The events I am about to share are 100% true...
    A field I have wanted to hunt for more than two decades was finally plowed and I was given sole permission to hunt was soaked with more than an inch of rain this week.
    My father, friend and, most importantly, son, were eager to get out there today.
    We made a couple of passes, my son already finding a busted tip. Suddenly, a truck parked beside us. Out came a young man with 3 year-old boy. Nicest guy in the world. Hollered how excited he was to find kindred spirits and started down the field towards us. During small talk, it was clear the guy was a really genuine, nice guy that did not have permission to be there. He did not even know the landowner’s name.
    After a minute or two of pleasantries, he started along the creek we would have inevitably hit.
    He screamed at the top of his lungs, “Best point I have found in 20 years hunting!”
    He let me snap a picture of the G10 dovetail. Now, about ten minutes into his hunt, his boy started balling and they left. I was proud how well my son took the experience, but would be lying if I did not wish it was in my son’s case.
    I shook the gentleman’s hand and wished him well. It would also be dishonest to say this one won’t haunt me.

Please let me know how you would have handled the experience in arrowhead hunting ethics.
    I am so new to the sport, this is only the second time in my life I ran into another afield. What are ethics/etiquette?

Thanks!

Flint
    Attached Files
    northwestern Pennsylvania

Are you asking what you should of said to him about being there without permission? If that's the question then after talking with him I would of said, well I have asked permission from the owner to walk so you need to do the same cause I'm not the owner and you need to leave. Otherwise you will lose permission as well if the owner finds out.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

You were a true gentleman, it sounds like a lost a point gained a friend thing, and maybe somewhere down the road of life that boy might be the doctor that saves your sons life, I’m here to tell you that story has not been written yet, God only knows...That being said, I would be in deep depression till I wasn’t.....Thanks for sharing.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
        Flint Eastwood commented
        Editing a comment
        Hal,
        An absolutely amazing answer.
        I looked at it as a life lesson-a teachable moment to my son to be happy for other’s good fortune.
        Clearly, he handled it better than me. I am sitting here posting about it. He ate some ice cream, took his dog for a walk, and drew on the driveway with some chalk!
        Flint

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Doncha just love how innocent they are.

Hey Flint....ur sons already got some real good points....yes. That shoulda been in your collection.. yes ..you were a gentleman.. you did the right thing. Love one another is a very important commandment ....you guys will find many more!!!!
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
        Flint Eastwood commented
        Editing a comment
        redrocks
        Good insight.
        I found it ironic I found the spot due to my love of fishing. Though I fished within sight of the field countless times across twenty+ years, I do not recall an angler plucking a trophy trout in front of me. Then, first time arrowhead hunting, I run into friendly competition who does just that.
        Flint

Just think, you know now the quality of point there. That wasn’t the only one.

there’s nothing to be gained from being an A-hole, and you did good not being one,👍👍
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Hi Flint,

It’s such a crazy world and avoiding a confrontation with your kids around was the right thing to do. I would have written down his tag number and turned it over to the land owner and let him deal with it as he see’s fit. He might seem like a nice guy but he wasn’t raised right because otherwise he would have known better. Sometimes being nice is a smokescreen for a snake and I suspect that’s what you ran into.

Von

Comment

Its really up to the land owner. I think you did the right thing . when you do good things it usually comes back around to you. One day ten years ago right after thanksgiving I found a wallet. I looked inside and there was a license and a credit card and a little cash. I mailed it back to the guy along with a Christmas card and let him know where I found it. A couple days later I get a Christmas card from the guy with a thank you inside and a ten dollar bill. I opened it while the mail man was still parked in front of my house sorting his next stops. I thought to my self I did not do this for a reward I did it because it was the right thing to do. I walked over and gave the ten bucks to the mail man and said Merry Christmas. My Gal and I jumped in the car and went to the diner for breakfast. When we left the diner right on the ground at the door of our car was a ten dollar bill. I picked it up and looked to the sky and just said I guess you want me to have this reward after all. It does not always happen that fast it might take years but for being good , something good will happen back at you.
          Last edited by Hoss; 03-21-2021, 09:37 AM.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Sounds to me like you made the right call for the circumstances. There’s really never a right time to be a rude obnoxious person and when you have children involved it’s definitely not the time. Good for you for being the better man and doing the right thing even though deep down inside it was probably a hard pill to swallow. The only thing that I probably would have said was how i have been wanting to hunt this field for the last two decades and how I couldn’t believe that I was finally granted permission. Then maybe ask him if he’s related to the owner or something like that. There’s always a way to nonchalantly ask someone a question without coming right out with the question that could make you seem like a real jerk.
            Warren County New Jersey

Comment

I think you handled it well. Perspective often reminds me to take a step back and look at the bigger picture . We can't take our arrowheads with us when we die. As the Psalmist said, "You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about but only in vain; He heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it." Psalm 39: 5-6
              South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Narrow, you think author Moses or David? ...there is a lil’ debate we used to have Bible Study: Talmud says Moses, but continuity with prior verses indicates David. (doesn't really matter if reader “gets it”!)

• Narrow Way Knapper
                Narrow Way Knapper commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Cecilia, my personal opinion is that the author of this particular psalm was David. Moses was not a very poetical writer and seemed content to state just the facts or God's reaction to the people of Israel. In Exodus 4:10 Moses even complains about his lack of eloquence. Wether this was merely a speech impediment or difficulty formulating his thoughts, I know not. So, I think this particular one fits David's M.O.

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahh, but remember Psalms sung, and even some stutterers sing w/o missing a beat. Selah! (But of course, I think David, too, because 39 is just continuation 38....and yes, boy o boy, could he write as well as sling a shot, moon/plot/plan/court/love Bathsheba, wax poetically re admiration, apprehension, awe God. Had wonderful Sunday School class once taught by thoroughly Christian brilliant military psychiatrist called “Mental Health inThe Bible”, and many lessons devoted David.... thank you, Narrow! I miss this! Will pm you sometimes so don’t get in trouble here!

Excellent advice so far, nothing new for me too add. Now if I was that guy and I saw you guys out there; I would have parked my vehicle, got out and waved (I wouldn't have honked or yelled). I would never cross property because in my areas you could get shot 🙂. plus out of respect because I wouldn't want random strangers wondering on my property. If you guys ignored me I would've left, but if you guys came up and talked I would've first introduced myself; then asked if any of you were the owner of this property and state that I'm looking for arrowheads (I never say Indian artifacts, relics, ect..) regardless if you guys are owners or not. Now if you weren't I would ask if I could get in touch with the owner and ask for permission myself, if not for whatever reason I would thank them and wish them luck but if so I would still thank them just for the contact info. If all went well It would be up to them if they wanted to hunt around me or not.

Now if you guys were the owners, I would introduce myself. Mention that I collect arrowheads and ask for permission to walk the land. I always offer a hand shake, if the answer is yes I always say thank you and I'll ask if they want to hunt with me or see my finds after I'm done.

I have to say that guy is brave and probably thought that no one would say anything if they saw a father and son walking in the field together, or if someone did they wouldn't cause a fuss because a child was with him. I can almost guarantee he only took his kid as a excuse for him to find points and had the mindset if anyone said anything he would probably say something like "my son likes to look for arrowheads "and most people wouldn't care for that reason alone. Sounds like that was the case since they were only out there 10 minutes, the child started crying and they left, obviously he wasn't having fun.

You handled that situation well Flint. You never know what people might do these days if they sense attitude. I would definitely let the owner know. I know it was hard. Glad that your son handled it well too. Look at the bright side... now you definitely know they're out there.
              Last edited by antmike915; 03-21-2021, 02:26 AM.
              🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                Hal Gorges commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahhh yes, the bright side,

Flint, my Father’s motto for the last half of of his life was “Don’t sweat the small stuff..... and, it’s all small stuff!” Also, many (my) lessons’ running themes based upon Scripture, particularly the Psalms, including passage referenced by Narrow. Like you here, and very much like Hoss in his story response, my Dad wanted to “Do Right”. Once, he stopped in heavy traffic for problematic bag in middle of road drivers swerving around; turned out to be bank bag with thousands $ cash inside. He returned it to bank, who called journalist, who reported that “Diogenes’ search was over.”...(just google Diogenes, lol!)

I think Daddy woulda done what you did, because of reasons related by Hal and Red; also woulda done what Bird suggested (“pussyfootin’’, he’d call it), and afterwards he’d tell story to owner, not to rat on guy, but to ask should fella or any other drop-in appear, what would owner have him do?
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

One of the rules i have from property owners is to run others off if I see anyone. My presence keeps unwanted people off their property. That way they know who is there and not some random person. So far I haven't ran into anyone.
                NW Georgia,

Comment

You tell trespassers, nice or not, that people have been getting busted by LEO's and the landowner...and that they should not take their chances without permission from the landowner.

Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

He was sent there to receive and you were there to give....'best things in life.....'
                    San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

I am like surface hunter I sole permission and keep all other off most of the land I hunt is owned by Mennonites and they don’t care for outsiders I have earned their trust over 30yrs so I come and go as I please but no one else if I bring someone I need to introduce them I have had many people try the same scam it usually some one who can’t get permission and kids are great for not getting turned down I would have stopped him at the edge and told him to get permission never let anyone on land you have permission to be on that is giving them the ok to hunt so chalk it up to lesson learned
                      NWOhio

Comment

Working...
                      X