Display case hacks take two~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display case hacks take two~

Didn't know where to post this, and it might be long winded...but here goes!
    When I started my display 20 yrs ago all artifacts went into rikker cases. Then I went to a show...thus my affinity for wood cases began. The felt backing has never impressed me, so after a couple of visits to fabric stores I found bolts of just what I wanted. They call it "headliner". The colored fabric is foam backed and is less than 1/4 inch thick. There isn't a whole lot of variety on colors... I think 8, and there is an almost unnoticeable difference in the fabric/foam between two different stores. As far as pricing I think maybe $10 a square yard, which is enough to do alot, and the excess I use to handle or photograph points on. Click image for larger version  Name:	image_108892.jpg Views:	15 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	544832
    I really like how the point gets surrounded, and as a bonus the thinnest points in each case no longer move about the cabin...which used to be such a headache. Now the case can be transported and shaken around without having to open and re arrange anything. Usually the thick points do well in the middle and thinnest go around edge and paper thin points do best at the bottom by the locks. Click image for larger version  Name:	20180108_095701.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.6 KB ID:	544830
    The lighting on my cases was a bulk purchase of LED book lights... Kind of a Guess on natural/yellow vs blue/white so I got several of each. They ended up being like 4 bucks a piece. Click image for larger version  Name:	20210331_004556-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	544831
    Last edited by utilized flake; 03-31-2021, 07:04 PM. Reason: Imperfectional spelling
    North Carolina

Very cool display and great tips. Thanks for posting this. Looks very professional.
    👍😃
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Very nice Flake. Thanks for sharing this info. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

That is one sweet display..
        oh.. oh... your giving me ideas..
        two thumbs up on that...👍👍
        Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Nice setup (and points) 👍
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I have Rikers and a few wooden ones. I need more wooden frames the rikers fall apart after 5 years I have many right now that need to be taken apart and put back together due to slide. Good looking frame
            NW Georgia,

Comment

LizFlake, you done good!
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

That's a great frame! I like the alternative to felt. That's a great idea!
                South Carolina

Comment

Good post nice tips, thx.
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

Good idea and awesome frame
                    South Dakota

Comment

The lighting in my artifact room is horrible. And my eyes are starting to go. Had to do something!
                      North Carolina

Comment

Nice
                        SW Connecticut

Comment

I tried corduroy. It works better than felt,but what you've found looks better, still. I'm gonna look into that, thanks.

Youngsters, ask your grandparents to show you what corduroy is, lol...
                          Western Kentucky

Comment

Working...
                          X