Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMD
    replied
    The figure 8 plummet. Westport, Ma. The maker has to have known this inclusion would end up atop the knob....

Click image for larger version

Name:	F2A30A0B-F71F-4D89-B8BC-15BB8D9949F3.jpeg
Views:	690
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	554861

Name:	995A6660-6412-48F2-A1DE-9F3061078282.png
Views:	678
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	554862

Name:	380FC350-4CC2-4D0B-B746-D5C14E85ED62.png
Views:	659
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	554863

Name:	8EB7F854-F411-4DEF-B8F4-8A61F9A8E9E1.png
Views:	632
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	554864

An old thread dealing with the subject of various fishing gear, and which delved into the issue of fanciful examples....

Posted by [CMD] All the artifacts shown here are interpreted as fishing weights by archaeologists and collectors in New England. These particular examples are personal finds by my wife and myself. It was a blazing hot day in a corn field atop a bluff overlooking the Atlantic in coastal Ma. From several rows over my wife

Leave a comment:

• Cmcramer
    replied
    Found in Onondaga County, NY.

Name:	IMG_1506.JPG
Views:	665
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	554855Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1507.JPG
Views:	641
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	554856

Leave a comment:

• Cecilia
    commented on 's reply
    Wow....

• redrocks
    commented on 's reply
    Nice!!

• Missouri Breaks
    commented on 's reply
    Yep

• redrocks
    commented on 's reply
    Plumalicious Tom!

• Missouri Breaks
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DABFDBBF-28FF-4DF0-A2FF-2A79514D9653.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	143.4 KB ID:	554812Click image for larger version  Name:	0B9DA320-CF38-491B-8E58-1D1CEC8892D8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	554810Click image for larger version  Name:	9EC37CC3-05ED-44EB-A6DC-915E6DAC5FAF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	554811 Those are great and a cool thread.
    Three in the foreground of that group with my one really symmetrical one in a couple solo shots. Sonoma CA, same site. I’ve just been reading about these.
    Last edited by Missouri Breaks; 05-11-2021, 10:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cecilia
    commented on 's reply
    Gotta warn ya: I do lotsa back-stitchin!
    Last edited by Cecilia; 05-11-2021, 11:39 PM.

• redrocks
    replied
    I do believe they were part of fishing tackle for NA... Except for the high grade polished ones

Leave a comment:

• LongStride
    replied
    Originally posted by Cecilia View Post
    Way too beautiful for duty as actual fishing plummet, net weight. Groove not sufficient for cord secure as pendant, and would hang crooked and whack teeth when bending, moving about. Some found grave goods, but none in snare/hunt locales. Mostly, recovered among domestic stuff.

I buy into definitely a weight, and, altho elegant and ornamental, definitely had job. Before had fixed-frame looms, cloth woven with loose strands held together by weight, and other strands gathered and pushed between them with shuttle. If I sat/stood my residence hours creating couture, I’d sure have “silver threads and golden needles”, so to speak. When fixed-frames came along, beautiful plummets kinda lost popularity. (I got lotsa citations basis theory, and will provide if want)
    Liking your theory , think I followed your silver and gold thread before

Leave a comment:

• Cecilia
    commented on 's reply
    Poo, Naysayer! Sure theory could be somewhat right, somewhere for some People!
    Huh....you California People wore fig leaves? .......Grape Leaves!😘
    Last edited by Cecilia; 05-12-2021, 12:53 AM.

• LongStride
    replied
    Originally posted by tomf View Post
    Those are great, Art.

I'm still dreaming of finding a charmstone.

Central California charmstones are spiritual objects , considered to have considerable power. Used as talismans, they were often suspended in hunting and fishing spots to ensure success. Also said to have the ability to fly and to be able communicate to a shaman the location of prey or enemies through dreams. The occur throughout the archeological from Windmiller through Augustine patterns of California cultural history.

[ATTACH]n554748[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]n554749[/ATTACH]
    Yes, agree about being sacred objects used by the shamans, have heard how these are used from a shaman who lived with the Lakia from Peru , it's a little over my head but very interesting

Leave a comment:

• tomf
    commented on 's reply
    These charmstones are widely distributed in areas where weaving was not practiced.

• tomf
    commented on 's reply
    Those are great too. Amazing how the shapes are consistent across the continent.

• tomf
    replied
    It's not a guessing game with the California ones. Evidence supports ethnographic reports. It seems they had no utilitarian function that wasn't magical in nature. Not weights or plum lines or marital aids.
    Not saying that at some point in distant past they didn't have a physical function that may have morphed into the metaphysical, but indian lore, and archeology seem to line up in agreement on this one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X