No announcement yet.

Plummets, Charmstones, and Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These three finds may fall into the charmstone category, though a little removed from the forms of the original post. I'll take the chance to show them.
    A quartz discoid, a large ovoid stone and a (rare) stone tablet, on which traces of design in red pigment can still be seen (just).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191122_080920.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.1 KB ID:	554931

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210131_162159.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.3 KB ID:	554932

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200112_163108.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	554933

I sincerely wish I could remember who was smart enough and kind enough to do this rendering of the 'hidden' design.

Click image for larger version  Name:	stone tablet CA Pendant Marked.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.1 KB ID:	554934

Napa, California
    Last edited by tomf; 05-12-2021, 01:26 PM.
    California

Comment

• Artifascination
      Artifascination commented
      Editing a comment
      That quartz discoidal is spectacular! Thanks for sharing Tom and appreciate your input on the plummets! Great info!

• Missouri Breaks
      Missouri Breaks commented
      Editing a comment
      Those would be serious sites. All amazing. Something numerical going on with the tablet?
      Last edited by Missouri Breaks; 05-13-2021, 10:29 AM.

You started a great thread Arti with lots of interesting comments. Having never found artifacts such as these I spent little time trying to learn much about them. I learned a lot today.

Comment

Good post art....nice artifacts so far....ill share this plummet thats in my collection that my father found when the tide was low sometime in the mid to late 70s in north florida.....i always suspected it was some sort of net weight for fishing.....this is abt 3.5 oz in weight and roughly 3 1/4 inches in length Click image for larger version

Name:	20210512_175612.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	555036Click image for larger version

Name:	20210512_175635.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	555037Click image for larger version

Name:	20210512_175704.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	555038
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Artifascination
        Editing a comment
        That’s a good one! What material is that made from? Thanks for sharing Benny!

• Benji
        Benji commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure art.....you can see the crack running thru it....careless care of that artifact and it broke around 2005 or so...i remember it looking matte black inside, but with the red/orange color on outside of it may have some iron in it...im really not sure what it was made out of

• Artifascination
        Editing a comment
        It looks a lot like claystone! Very neat material!

Very true Cecilia.....i learned at a young age on what to look for
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

I would not rule out plummets as being part of a bola system for hunting birds along the water..
        Awesome relics everyone!!
        I am still searching for mine, can’t wait to lock eyes on it🤓

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, I’ve read that, too, but who would make such a beautiful thing and sling it fast and hard and far over and over.....? That’s equivalent of using for fishing net....idk, idk ... maybe my value-system needs plumbing... 😆 LOL
          Last edited by Cecilia; 05-16-2021, 08:10 AM.

Super collection
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0FF94E64-C398-476B-B644-2EA0C892FE06.jpeg
Views:	387
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	555256
          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

This insomniac just read one of coolest, most interesting articles ever, and can y’all guess, it was about (among other items) plummets being part of a Californian shaman’s rainmaking kit!

Please enjoy!

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...ication_detail
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Missouri Breaks
              Missouri Breaks commented
              Editing a comment
              I just downloaded this article and it’s really fantastic. There are descriptions of things I’ve found, including the charm stones. Answers a lot of questions.

These are all fantastic artifacts guys!

Comment

it's just a odd shaped rock I found on a gravel bar, about 3" long, use it to grind the charcoal when making pine tar pitch, will document that for y'all with photos next time I make some
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LongStride; 05-18-2021, 01:32 PM.
              2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                No, this is a JAR?! No, I don’t believe that. You musta scratched cool design if rock. Please make pine tar pitch soon, and record. (I’ll believe only JAR if see you mashing embers with it....!). Gosh, I’ll think about that next time our gazillion Georgia pines whisper in the wind!

Originally posted by tomf View Post
              It's not a guessing game with the California ones. Evidence supports ethnographic reports. It seems they had no utilitarian function that wasn't magical in nature. Not weights or plum lines or marital aids.
              Not saying that at some point in distant past they didn't have a physical function that may have morphed into the metaphysical, but indian lore, and archeology seem to line up in agreement on this one.
              Exactly what tomf stated above...............Here are a couple of mine from CA. Click image for larger version

Name:	Charmstones.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	557706

Comment

They ain't all purdy LOL I have no doubt that some were used as utilitarian weights and some were finery. Click image for larger version

Name:	plummet4a.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	557799Click image for larger version

Name:	plummet9a.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	557800Click image for larger version

Name:	plummet14a.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	557801Click image for larger version

Name:	plummet8a.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	557802Click image for larger version

Name:	plummet13a.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	557803Click image for larger version

Name:	plummet11a.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	557804
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	plummet12b.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	557812Click image for larger version

Name:	plummet17a.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	557813Click image for larger version

Name:	plummet16b.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	557814
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

Shot in the dark here not ever finding anything like this . I believe most of these were utilized for survival .
                    weights , fishing . All the charm stones are those light weight ones .
                    Really in looking at this fantastic collection look who finds them . Everyone in water ways . Tom , CDM and so on . I do like CC ‘s thought of weaving interesting .

Comment

• tomclark
                      tomclark commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Tam you are DUE!! I hope this year for ya.

I know right !!! Where is a pipe or a charm !

Comment

Working...
                    X