Looking for information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information

I am posting a couple pictures of a broken points that I found on my farm in West Tennessee. I have not been able to find any local history about the natives and I was hoping some of the experienced artifact hunters and knappers on this forum can you tell me an approximate age or anything else if they notice about the points that would tell them anything about the people who made them . These were found in the same wash out along with lots of flakes in a couple of hammer stones . Since finding these points I have learned how to flint knap and have become very interested in the history in that area . thanks in advance.

When the base is broken and gone like on the first artifact, it is impossible to give an accurate type and age. It is the tip of a knife however. The second doesn’t look finished. There isn’t any secondary edge work. It’s a preform of another knife in my opinion. I can’t tell much about the little broken one. Sometimes you can assume an age or type if you have found other artifacts in association with them, but then again it may be difficult. Many years of people and different cultures may have used the same campsite and they all got mixed together in a washout.
    South Dakota

Comment

Do some Googling there is a tremendous amount of information about those pieces and the aboriginal history of your area.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

The blue point need to see both sides without dirt covering base, kind of looks Morrow mountain like and last brown thing may be a spoke shave and not shoulders of a point, need some more phots of edge of what would be a blade if sharp.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

As Willjo says the point needs to be cleaned for a more positive ID to see the edges in detail. It is a knife or was gonna be. The point because of the lack of fine work on the edges or wear has me thinking it could be a preform. But if it was completely finished or almost so then I agree with Wiljo in regards the type. It looks like a Morrow Mt. to me as well. MM's were made during the Middle Archaic period six to 7 thousand years ago, plus or minus.

Comment

I agree with all above . please share some cleaned up photos of the blue one.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks to all who have replied, I will get a better picture of the blueish one. The thing that stands out to my inexperienced eye is there is nothing similar between the three at all, but they were all found in generally the same spot. I know from being a knapper that the material and the experience of the person doing the knapping will account for much of that but these appear to me to be from vastly different time periods.

Comment

Hi dogfish. It is very common to find points at the same place that were made thousands of years apart because the things that attract people to a place to live are often the same for everyone. Proximity to a source of good water is often one of the main factors but there are other factors depending on the lifestyle and needs of the people.

Comment

Working...
                X