• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clovis or What?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6963.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	571030 Found this in central Utah on private land. It seems to fit many of the Clovis characteristics, but is fluted on only one side. It is also small by Clovis standards measuring 35 mm long by 16 mm wide. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

They can be fluted on only one side. It is small, but they can be as well. I’m no expert on these so I won’t hazard an opinion, but I think the odds are in your favor!
    South Dakota

Comment

Side, angle base, opposite face pics..please.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Like Hal stated above better pictures from both sides would help. The flute from the pictures looks more like a natural surface and not smooth and shiny like a true flute on an Obsidian piece would look like. You can compare it to the other flakes around it and see what I'm referring to. Could be a lighting issue but better pictures are needed.
        Nice point either way!

Comment

That’s a sexy point
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Opposite side, both sides, and angle base both sides views. Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6972.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	571077Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6975.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	571078Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6976.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	571079Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6987.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	571080Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6992.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	571081

Comment

Redstone? Maybe?
              Western Kentucky

Comment

It is a super dandy point that you found. It looks more like a Clovis than anything else. I withheld an opinion till you responded to Hal's request for more pics. They are good photos and showed me what I needed to see. I believe it to be a Clovis. As you realized it is a good bit smaller than most but not small enough to disqualify it from consideration.

Comment

I also agree that it looks like it could be a Clovis. In these pictures the material looks more like a fine grained volcanic material more similar to Basalt than Obsidian which could explain the non glossy look it shows in the pictures. It also looks ground which it should be if Clovis. As for size, I've seen some smaller Clovis's from the basin about the size of yours and I myself have a smaller PF Clovis base so its not unusual for that area. Again Neat point
                  Last edited by Pointblank; 07-20-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X