8 1/4 inch Hardstone Celt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 1/4 inch Hardstone Celt

Seeing if you guys could help solve this puzzle for me. Would like to know material most likely and place of orgin, and maybe age??? for this awesome Celt i purchaced here in washington state. The guy said he bought from a guy who found it from the mid west, to the east coast lol. Any more help would be much appeciated thanks spear!!!
    Attached Files

Super piece with a high polish..
    can’t help with material… late archaic through Mississippian for age… great looking Celt…👍
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Thanks up north. Yeah anyone who recognizes that material i would be very grateful!!! Specific gravity came back at 3.15. Trying to help the next care taker of it!!

Comment

Looks like a greenstone basalt to me. It’s found in a number of places but is most common in the central to north central part of the U.S. Looks like it was hit by a plow in the field that brought it to the surface to be discovered. That is a nice artifact!
        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Ok cool, yeah I'm curious cause i have never actually held a authentic green stone celt before from outside washington state. So this style is really new to me. Its pretty hefty also a little over 3 pounds. So all this info is really helpful!!! Thank you!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210731_120702.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	573306
            another question for the group, did the celt styles typically have polished ends? Our is this from wear/use??

Comment

I have one much smaller celt and it has a polished end as well.
              Child of the tides

Comment

Name:	20210730_205828.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	573313 tapers from the bit to the base of the Celt!

Comment

Looks nice I can’t say if it’s real or not. I know a guy who makes them for fun and display. All of his look real. I’ve found a couple but after seeing the ones he makes I doubt I will ever buy any for myself.
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

Yeah in my opinion looks good to me but hope for the best expect the worse always when dealing in this field! Hard to fake the patina on the stone close up of a chip on the bit. Some people would be disappointed but that was my selling point. Looked like some time had passed on the chip. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210731_165853.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	573332

Comment

Name:	20210731_170023.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	573334more brownish patina on the stone in the none polished parts

Comment

I'm curious why are the mayan/olmec style celts so similar to the mound builders style celts?? Any connections our trade between the 2?

Comment

• clovisoid
                          clovisoid commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have celts from dozens of countries, and there are very few really unique styles. There are only so many ways to make a functional celt.

Guatemala, Panama, some of the Pacific Islands, and a couple of places in China have functional designs/materials that are are really unique to the cultures that made them. Pretty much every other style can be confused with something else from somewhere really far away.

Grooved Axeheads like those found in the Midwest & parts of Canada? Those things are unique, you'll find almost nothing like them anywhere else.

It’s a type of dolostone, apparently. Very hard, but not granite-hard.
                        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Yeah I'm not convinced on granite. Seems like a metaphoric stone for sure!! Seen some more opaque actinolite look close to this. Has the metal like lustor to it.

Comment

Thanks all for the input my favorite thing about all this is learning!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X