Kiln site or camp site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiln site or camp site?

I found all of these pieces within twenty square feet on the same day. I believe a broken morrow mt, the badin, broken midsection of unknown make, the pottery piece and three clay cooking balls connected. Showed them to a friend and she said it may have been a kiln site?

I’ve never found the clay balls before. They even have what appear to be black burn marks in two spots. it was a really exciting few minutes finding this grouping. Don’t know if Id call it a stash though.

would love to hear some of your thoughts.
    Attached Files
    North Carolina

You don't have enough artifacts from that site to make an accurate assessment as to its main purpose. IMO it was a camp site used occasionally. The Badin is a Woodland Point. Morrow Mountain are Middle Archaic. If you IDed them correctly then with the difference in ages ( 2000 years or more) then what it looks like it was a site inhabited periodically over several thousand years. If you find artifacts scattered over a few acres then at times it could have been something more permanent than a seasonal camp and inhabited by more people.

Comment

Yeah I agree with SJ. It could have been a spot that was frequented by nomadic travelers over the centuries. It sure would have got my vitals jumping also...nice finds man. Sometimes its fun to find stuff like that and the why/when/what for thoughts start...its what drives our passion...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I was very near there again today, I work for an environmental consulting company and we delineate wetlands, and we walk behind a Hydro axe lots of times to clear the land so we can access and flag. but today we noticed an area that looked perfectly flat and could be really good for camping on this big site and I found this Kirk stemmed, and a broken preform. Just scratching.
        i should say ive never seen more rhyolite flakes anywhere in my life. The area was definitely heavily used.
        Attached Files
        North Carolina

Comment

Forgot the pic with the preform
          Attached Files
          North Carolina

Comment

Working...
          X