Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projectile point identification guide..???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projectile point identification guide..???

Does anyone else here ever use or visit a site called projectile point identification guide?...or know anything about it?,. I have a couple questions...πŸ™‚
    JR, from jackson co, southern indiana

What’s the question? I use it sometimes but I also use other books also
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, ive only discovered it maybe a month or two ago at the most, i like how it is set up,it would easily become one of my go to sites if it were updated soon...πŸ™‚

That among others, What's your question?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, mr. Szybala...πŸ˜‰

yes i do> Ask away.
    Last edited by sailorjoe; 09-20-2021, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, SJ...πŸ™‚

Definitely One of the go to sites for me.
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Right?,. It is an interesting site, i like how it is formatted, hope they get on the ball and update some of their info. soon...πŸ™‚

Ok, thank you folks, ...is the site still being monitored and or updated?, The reason i ask is they have plenty of sections where they are asking for photos of various material in different forms, heat treated, natural form, etc...i have messaged them a few times asking if they were still needing the photos, then i sent a series of photos, ...never have recieving a reply, and it still shows those photos are still needed...?....can you all maybe shine some light on the matter for me?...its a nice site but it lacks a lot of basic information, some of which i feel that i can supply in support of their site...thank you in advance for your response...πŸ™‚

Comment

• LongStride
      LongStride commented
      Editing a comment
      same here, not sure why they weren't interested in my photos to fill blanks , figure they are undermanned and overwhelmed with responses , was several years ago when I last tried contacting them

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      They show several of my personal finds with photos I never took, never submitted, lol….

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, cmd, i guess thats better then someone else getting credit for your photos maybe...πŸ™‚

That site and information is growing might take awhile to get an answer .

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you South Fork...πŸ™‚

I have a few of my points on that site I’ve found for example types but last time I tried to send pics I got no response from them. Maybe someone else is running it now idk
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Last name I knew was Brandon if I remember correctly

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Really?...thats pretty cool,! i would ask which ones but im not sure if that would be proper etiquette, so i rekon ill just stick with thats pretty cool!...lol...πŸ™‚

So basically, as LongStride has mentioned, they are probably super busy and everybody and their brother is trying to get a photo credit on the site, or perhaps a personnel change as suggested by SurfaceHunter, or maybe they just thought my examples were not what they were looking for...idk, but either way i will give them the benefit of doubt since i now know the site is still in operation....as always, the wisdom and knowledge that i find here is very much appreciated....πŸ™‚

Comment

Look under Georgia I have a few. Pickwick, Mac Corkle, I had a Ledbetter but they removed it idk why, and a couple others I can’t remember. I tried uploading some other nice ones but now I can’t even find a spot to upload pictures anymore. I sent a email last month but got no response. I know someone who knows the guy who started the site maybe I will ask him. Maybe they sold it I will let you know
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Talkingpoints
        Talkingpoints commented
        Editing a comment
        Very kind of you, thank you...πŸ™‚

• Talkingpoints
        Talkingpoints commented
        Editing a comment
        SurfaceHunter my friend,...going off of the clues youve provided , i believe i have cracked the case!!..🧐😁
        Last edited by Talkingpoints; 10-06-2021, 06:09 PM.

Hi TP. This is the first time I've been able to respond after I asked you to "ask away". I make frequent use of that website but I have other resources as well. The biggest problem I have with them is that they sometimes get it wrong with their photos. By this I mean that they will post pics of points incorrectly. I am very familiar with certain types and every now and then I will go to that website and see photos of points that are obviously bad IDs. Other people have observed this as well. But it still is a helpful resource when trying to ID points that one is not familiar with. Having said that, Oversteet has errors as well but much, much less than projectilepoints.net. The interpretation of a type is often very difficult when you have it in hand, much less just looking at photographs.

Comment

• Talkingpoints
        Talkingpoints commented
        Editing a comment
        My apologies for my poor communication, thats a huge pet peeve for me!....let me try again, i have seen the exact same type of arrowhead found for example in florida as one found in say kentucky, and they will credit that exact same style to two different cultures, as opposed to just saying the original makers of the arrowhead moved around a lot and probably left some of their points behind as they did so..and i was just wondering if you or anyone could shed some light on this for me?
        Last edited by Talkingpoints; 09-22-2021, 05:15 PM.

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Talkingpoints, the same point can have different type names in different regions. Typing is very regionally-based. One reason I really like Noel Justice’s β€œcluster model” system of classification. In his discussion of clusters, he lists points that are similar across regions with regional names. So, for instance, I will discover that a Stark point found in southern New England is an analog of the Morrow Mountain type found further south.

• Talkingpoints
        Talkingpoints commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you CMD, so do you think its just a coincidence?, That different people developed very,very similar styles?, Im not yet familiar with the cluster theory that you mention, maybe it will shed more light on the subject for me as well...πŸ™‚

There used to be a site called Texasppoints.com that had id info on all the points found in Texas, but I don't know of any other states.
      FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

• Talkingpoints
        Talkingpoints commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the information...πŸ™‚

I haven’t contacted my friend yet I will try this weekend
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Talkingpoints
        Talkingpoints commented
        Editing a comment
        That is quite alright, i appreciate you remembering and getting back with me...πŸ™‚

Same guy still running it from what I’m told maybe he is busy or on vacation. Anyway just giving you a update so keep trying if you don’t hear back
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Talkingpoints
        Talkingpoints commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do, and i thank ye...πŸ™‚

They have one of my personal find Snook kill points in the photos. I asked who submitted it because it was not me. No answer. A lot of mistakes in that site. They used too have one of the states spelled wrong as well as some point type spelling.
      Last edited by Hoss; 09-26-2021, 07:12 AM.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Talkingpoints
        Talkingpoints commented
        Editing a comment
        Not necessarily a good sign ,huh?....
    Working...
    X