Fluted or ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluted or ??

Hi all. Looking or some opinions on this one. With the caveat of {nobody can know for sure except its maker} out of the way, what do y'all think of this: Is it fluted? Is it an idiosyncrasy of this particular maker and material? If not, then to what end was it so shaped? Dimensions are 2.5" x 1.5". Thanks for your replies!

S.B. I don't think it's a flute flake. It looks Archaic or woodland. The hinge is the result of a thinning flake removed. It sure is a nice scraper though. K
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Seltzer Boy
      Seltzer Boy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply! If I may, what gives it away as a scraper as opposed to something else?

Just a reduction flake that hit a hinge fracture, stack. I'm pretty sure and not the maker.
    Last edited by gregszybala; 10-17-2021, 05:36 AM.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I think you got your answer
      South Dakota

Comment

I would consider that a thinning flake. Many of our early archaic points on the E coast exhibit techniques similar to the fluting process. I wonder if the natives tried to replicate the hafting techniques of earlier knappers?
        North Carolina

Comment

• Seltzer Boy
          Seltzer Boy commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting that the quality of work seems to deteriorate over time.

• sailorjoe
          sailorjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi SB. The quality of work did not deteriorate over time. Lots of examples why that is not so. Google "the Duck River Cache" and see what I mean and that is but one example.

• Seltzer Boy
          Seltzer Boy commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! that's really interesting stuff. So it seems to be a very nuanced subject to say the least.

Looks like they were going for a longer flake than that and it hinged or hit a stack, I believe they wanted to haft it.

Comment

Fluty flake that is

Comment

Technically it fits the description of a flute..However like others have said, I don’t think it was a paleo idea but a preform thinning one..love pieces that tell a story.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

It is a preform, and "ruined" by that base thinning flake and the stack imhop

Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Thanks for the reply! If I may, what gives it away as a scraper as opposed to something else? To answer why I came to that conclusion is it's size and shape, very simple. Kim
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I would call it thinned not fluted. Thinning is much more common in preparing tools and points.
                  FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Working...
                  X