Authentic or Reproductions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic or Reproductions?

Hi all. Bad back pain most of the time now, but I'm still kicking! Just not very high. So pictured are two Snake handle Effigy pots I bought from a friend way back in the early 70s. He told me the story that his dad had them for many years. Thought they were bought somewhere in the west. He believed they were reproductions But I'm not sure. Did anyone ever see anything like them. I have looked and searched many hours and never found anything like them. All comments welcome. Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3502.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	593530

Name:	IMG_3500.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	593529

Name:	IMG_3499.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	593528
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Interesting!, A pottery expert i am not, but they certainly look the part....🙂
    JR, from jackson co, southern indiana

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      I was real lucky to get them either way. I paid $40.00 for the pair. And that was a lot back in those days. They are in really great shape TP. Thanks for looking. K

Hi Mattern , Very interesting pots. Some of my favorite artifacts are Mississippian culture & I have few pieces. The only 2 pieces that are I am aware of that are even remotely similar to yours are pictured , they are both authenticated mississippian vessels . I will not even hazard a guess as to the nature & age of your pots. I have one very rare complete pot found on an island on the Mississippi 10 miles from Cahokia. Thanks for a look , they are cool. I will say the color & age of the clay in your pots looks right. The other possibility for your pots could be Catawba. Augie Click image for larger version  Name:	H1351-L119196259.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.0 KB ID:	593626Click image for larger version  Name:	20150706104638_6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	593627
    Last edited by Augmonic; 10-17-2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Man that first one looks the same as mine, different Type but so similar. When I got these I was not as dumb as I am now. (young and new everything) But I did believe they were authentic, I just never saw any like them. Now I have. Thank you soo much

I have seen many water bottles and many with stirrups or straps on them, but I’ve never seen a vessel with a handle like a modern pitcher….
    it does look to be hand made though.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for looking Jethro. These appear to be of some antiquity, and definitely hand made. I have found so much pottery in my days that I think I can tell the difference between old and new. But they make pottery for sale and trade everyday on the reservations. K

Mattern , I post very little on the forum , but it was my pleasure. You are right , the resemblance in the 2 is strong.

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree Augie.

I am going to say modern based on one thing that immediately struck me as not right and that is how thick they ...aA sure tell ..modern potters either can’t or won’t take the time to match authentic ones..Notice how thin the authentic one is that Angie has..not even gonna get into surface wear..that’s enough for me to make a call..You know it’s only my opinion after all...if you want a more in depth discussion pm me and we’ll dig deeper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E3BE3E7C-726D-4992-86B6-DE83FAF36CAA.jpeg Views:	32 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	593702
    Last edited by Hal Gorges; 10-18-2021, 08:56 AM.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Hal

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Good eye, Hal. An excellent observation.

Those are cool kim! Good scores
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed cool but modern in my opinion.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with u matt!

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for looking Red.

Can’t really give any opinion, but they are nice pots. I do have a feeling that Hal is right with his assessment.
    South Dakota

Comment

I thought newer to but wanted to see what others say. The one time I bought a pot it ended up being a reproduction so I’m no expert. Nice pots either way
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        You know more than you think about pottery Glenn

They look more like Latin American touristy items to me.

Hal nailed the thickness part, that's a red flag on ancient pottery.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree, thanks.

Those are nice pots, repros or not. Thanks for posting this thread, it bought forth a good discussion by which we all benefited.

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the comment Sailor.
    Working...
    X