Looking for information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information

I’m hoping for any information about this piece, I’ve never seen one quite like it. I know that it was found near the Colorado/Utah border by my great grandfather when her was young. It measures 18inX 7inX 4in and is made of sandstone with I think 8 different figures painted on it. The outer ones are hardly visible and hard to make out. Any ideas on how old? Or pictures of similar things? Thanks for looking!!

Interesting, have no clue of its origins though...🙂
    JR, from jackson co, southern indiana

Comment

The drawings do not appear that old, looks to have been drawn on by a black sharpie (marker). Hopefully I'm wrong....
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Blown up, the figures look a little like “ant people”. Ant people figure prominently in Hopi mythology. I imagine also in Puebloan mythology in general.

https://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-L...orld-Hopi.html

Pictographs preserve well in the desert Southwest, as anyone traveling the region and visiting ancient sites knows. Given what I’m looking at, no reason to not think the images are old. My interpretation may be way off, of course. Those look like humanoid figures with antennae though.

Zuni men dressed as ant people:

Sep 27, 2014 - This Pin was discovered by Vail Joy. Discover (and save!) your own Pins on Pinterest

Modern Hopi pottery depicting ant people….

https://www.kachinahouse.com/native-...-seed-pot-4559
        Last edited by CMD; 10-28-2021, 11:37 AM.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Good info..Antennas interesting..

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          My my my! You among the ones I count on broaden my horizons!

Bex, it appears you may have treasure!
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

It would be fun to search the area where that was found.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help, I wish I had appreciated what it was when I was younger and could of asked my grandpa more about it. I’ll try to post some better pictures close up, it’s definitely not sharpie or any other marker.

Comment

Cool looking piece. If it's been in your family for a while, I'd assume it's pretty old because it doesn't look like the normal touristy stuff made before 1980 or so. There is a lot modern made decorative pieces with rock art on nice thin slabs of material, but it's the stuff you find in home decoration stores and galleries.

I can't recall seeing many black rock paintings. A lot of the rock art out that way is negative, they pecked the figurines into the host rock uncovering a lighter colored rock under the desert varnish, or they are reddish/brownish ochre pigments.
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
              X