UNFLUTED CLOVIS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNFLUTED CLOVIS ?

Hello guys , I am a new member and I am still learning about this hobby .This one has me stumped Is it a knife or unfluted clovis . I have not been able to find it in any of my books . I have put it in this riker mount to show the size comparison to the other paleo points . I am pretty sure it is from Ohio . Any help is very appreciated .

sure is pretty, i'd like to see all of them a little better hope someone has a guess, thanks for sharing,,ts

Comment

Is that one top left a personal find? Not sure about your knife we need better pictures 
      Thanks for posting
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

The top left one looks modern. Did you find it or buy it. The one in the center is not a Clovis based on what I can see. Is the basal are ground?

Comment

the top left clovis is not a repo , i can post pics of all later , thanks for the reponse guys

Comment

the material of the center piece does not look like any common variety that is seen in ohio , but then again ohio does have a variety of colors. the piece looks crude in the picture, may be un finished and does have a paleo appearance.  jim

Comment

I was looking through my Overstreet book - looks like an Angostura-EAST. A  medium to large lancelot
              blade with a contracting/concave base. Bases are not usually ground but are thinned - Transitional Paleo to mid-Archaic, 1,000 to 8,000 B.P.  Looks to me to be some large grained quartzite, and the pink color may indicate being heat treated.
              If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Thanks so much guys for the feedback , Olden put me onto Angostura but when i looked again at the Overstreet guide i found that it resembles Agate basin on page 348 of the 12th edition of the most recent Overstreet . I did not put the two together but the third point on the right from flint ridge had a very similar look it is just smaller than the one i have shown here . I recently purchased a very old and large collection that i am still archiving and learning about i just need to figure out how to get the proper size to be able to load the pics fast . I will try to reload more pics of this point to get a better perspective of the material used to make the piece .

Comment

If you bought the collection how could you be so sure about the one in the upper left. Looks to be made of Onandaga Chert and lacks patina. It looks like the work of the guy who made this point

Not trying to accuse you of pulling a fast one but points like this are what they are " Modern" and should not be given false provienence. That is what turns modern art and reproductions into fake points" that are ruining this hobby  for all collectors. If you did not find that or personally see it found send it to Bennett for authentication. You will feel better for it once you know it has been autheticated. 
                  Just as Jack said it does look modern! Caught my eye because I own the one in the picture that I am calling a reproduction. I knew the Knapper of that one and he gave it to me as a gift.
                  The other side of mine is fluted and looks very similar to yours. It is kind of uncanny.When I get back home I will see if I can get some better pictures this one is an old one from an earlier post on Arrowheads.com
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I agree with Jack and Hoss on the fluted piece. It certainly looks modern to me. The center one is not Agate Basin. Lots of things wrong for that type. Better pics would help.
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

take a better look guys .

Comment

I didnt want to change the topic of the thread but i must post better pics of the clovis point .

DSCF9752.JPG not found

DSCF9750.JPG not found

Comment

Lots of patina .

DSCF9747.JPG not found

DSCF9750.JPG not found

Comment

Point..

DSCF9747.JPG not found

Comment

collection..

Comment