Real or Fake? Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real or Fake? Need Advice

Ran across some items for sale and not sure about all of them. There are lots of pieces in the collection that I'm pretty sure are authentic, but I wanted some opinions on some of the nicer items. There are plenty of brokes and preforms in the collection and material looks similar to my personal finds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Main reason I'm checking opinions is the bottom left piece in the framed photo. I also know the shaft is not authentic on the axe. Any advice would be great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	axe 3 [replaced].jpg
Views:	34
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	213905

The first two Doves do not look good to me. The basal configuration is just not right. I would say your axe is a pretty nice one but the hafting is modern. Bottom left and right in the frame are surely modern. I can't tell about the big one but the rest could be good.
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

NEMSNewb wrote:

Ran across some items for sale and not sure about all of them. There are lots of pieces in the collection that I'm pretty sure are authentic, but I wanted some opinions on some of the nicer items. There are plenty of brokes and preforms in the collection and material looks similar to my personal finds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Main reason I'm checking opinions is the bottom left piece in the framed photo. I also know the shaft is not authentic on the axe. Any advice would be great!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n213908[/ATTACH]

All are modern except for the small points in the frame those look ok. The thunderbird is modern, the fishook is modern, the large blade in the frame is modern, and the first two points are modern.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Agreed, rmartin and greywolf nailed it here. The axe head itself looks good but like was said, the hafting is modern but it's kinda cool to see how it may have been used.
          Southern Connecticut

Comment

Sorry for butting in but Milky changed his profile so I had to comment. Milky is that a new " Avatar"?
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

PS I agree with the others they look modern. All but the axe
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

What are the tips that show you these are modern?

Comment

On the first two, they are not made properly. The notching is all wrong for the type. If I were to hold it I could probably find more reasons, but that is apparent from the pic. As far as the fish hook and the bird effigy, I have never seen a real one and none exist in the Archaeological record, In other words, not one has ever been found in context of a controlled dig. They have been cranked out by knappers since the "30's.
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Not sure on the ax. I would need to see some close up on it.

Comment

No patination or ware that comes from lying in the open or under ground for thousands of uears.- All look fresh made, except the small points and the ax.

Comment

Martin,I have a bird effigy just like the one neme  has  and was told they were made in early 40s by the thousands.

Comment

To get a different/better perspective on bird effigies, go to tresurenet.com and in the search box in upper right, plug in firebird effigies- which will bring you to 3 threads concerning your effigie.  Note that the only ones folks believe to be real are made of bone or some other material other than flint.  AND, on top of that, apparently folks were copying these little pretties sinse the late 1800's.  Go figure, BUT consider this too. Couldn't there have been one or two real ones- for the fakers to copy?  Just a thought.
                          Riv.

Comment

Working...
                          X