Side notch vs corner notch......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side notch vs corner notch......

I've been trying to type some of my points, but can't always tell if a point is,a corner or side notch. Sometimes its clear, but hoping someone can help me know for sure.
    Gary
    South Dakota

well Gary, corner notches are ummmmmm.............in the corners.  The side notched points are ......well....how shall I say this?,,,,,,notched in the sides. :whistle:
    I guess it comes down to two things really, knowing your typology for your region and experience....both of which I'm working on myself!
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

cgode wrote:

well Gary, corner notches are ummmmmm.............in the corners.  The side notched points are ......well....how shall I say this?,,,,,,notched in the sides. :whistle:
      I guess it comes down to two things really, knowing your typology for your region and experience....both of which I'm working on myself!
        Very funny    :laugh: ,  but it doesn't seem that easy to me,  You would think so,  but when I look
      at overstreet,  they seem to overlap a little.   I'll take another look.
      South Dakota

Comment

:evil:
        South Dakota

Comment

yes, I was being funny Gary....it is a good question. There are times when I have looked at a point and found myself on that very same fence.......corner or side?????   They do seem to blend together at times and it isn't always obvious to me either......hopefully someone will give us a good answer to your question.
          Southern Connecticut

Comment

All I can do is agree with Chris. It appears to be a fine line and my guess is it depends on who found, named or categorized the first one(s) found.
            So like Chris also said, the more familiar you get with what you find in your area and the more familiar you get with what they are called, the less you become (at least I do!) concerned with whether it is a corner or side notch.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Draw an imginary line as to make a triangle if the corner is removed then it is corner notched if the triangle is intact with the notch comming in then its a side notcher.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

A good question and is only possible by paying attention to strict diagnostic criteria.
                In the South Eastern US, for example, side notches were almost always Early Archaic in age, always heavily basally thinned and featured heavy basal end and edge grinding.
                Corner notched points and limited to the Middle and late Early Archaic and rarely feature the same heavy basal edge grindig and end dulling on the corner notches feature.

Comment

Bill wrote:

A good question and is only possible by paying attention to strict diagnostic criteria.
                  In the South Eastern US, for example, side notches were almost always Early Archaic in age, always heavily basally thinned and featured heavy basal end and edge grinding.
                  Corner notched points and limited to the Middle and late Early Archaic and rarely feature the same heavy basal edge grindig and end dulling on the corner notches feature.
                    Thanks for the info Bill.
                  South Dakota

Comment

So the one in your avatar pic Hoss is a corner notch?

Comment

Although I don't know where Hoss is from, I'm guessing his avatar is a Kessell Side Notched- an Indiana variety - or maybe MacCorckle Stemmed.  By and large,- and although this link is basic- and over-simplified, check ou this e-how site. At least it'll give you something to look at and consider.  http://www.ehow.com/how_4866609_iden...rrowheads.html
                      Cheers!
                      Riv.

Comment

CoachG wrote:

So the one in your avatar pic Hoss is a corner notch?
                          The point in Hoss's picture is typed as a bifurcate, because it has a basal notch
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Coach I am so sorry I missed your question. That point is a MacCorkle Bifurcate point.The MacCorkle is considered to be the largest bifurcate point from the early archaic.   It is a personal find which I dug in the North West Hill of CT.
                          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Didn't/couldn't know... but guessed. I am originally from CT. Cool to see something from CT. Lived there for 20 years. Never found a point. Nice stuff. Only put up site pic for basic info only. I get it. Sorry.

Comment

It shouldn't be this difficult to identify types. For some reason, I have a lot of trouble. Guess I need to do some more homework.

Comment

Working...
                              X