I'm in love with this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in love with this

One of my recent finds in a field over the past week. Location: Pickaway County, Ohio
    This area is known for the Adena and Shawnee Americans. I adore this piece but would like to know anything more about it. Looks to be a type of quartz but I'm positive it's a type of arrowhead.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-28 4.23.57 PM.png Views:	31 Size:	174.0 KB ID:	602413
    Last edited by Chukelate1967; 11-28-2021, 07:08 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-28 4.39.46 PM.png
Views:	198
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	602416
    Here are the others that I found in and around the same area. The huge ball is heavy and almost perfectly round at 3" in diameter
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a quartz knife to me. Very nice find.
      South Carolina

Comment

Possibly a Adena blade, hard to say with only the one pic. The round piece could ba a hammerstone. Again, hard to tell by the one pic….👍
        Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Chukelate1967
          Chukelate1967 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll try to upload a few more pics of it. I tried a few times but it said the file was too big :/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-28 6.47.39 PM.png
Views:	205
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	602463Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-28 6.48.44 PM.png
Views:	194
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	602464Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-28 6.50.07 PM.png
Views:	183
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	602465

Comment

Be careful how much information you give on find locations. next time you go you might find nothing but footprints. Looks like a nice preform . Looks like Flintridge material. that outcrops at Muskingum County OH. Nice find.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Chukelate1967
            Chukelate1967 commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks for the info.

Nice find
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Partially worked biface made from flint ridge
            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

You really should take a long piece of rebar or bottle probe, and poke around the area where you found the flint ridge piece. You can feel the sound of flint (best way I can describe it) compared to other rocks. (Glass and flint feel different than normal field stones.) Plowing can move pieces around a field a ways, so I'd just start poking around in a large circle. You'd need permission before you dig.

Thousands of those unfinished bifaces were quarried and transported away from the quarry before being buried. Google Adena Cache for some examples.

It's a one in a million chance you have a cache there, but absolutely worth the effort to look.
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I love mysterious round pieces, so I blew up yours but details blurry. I think I see some strike marks, but look for single slight depression, like a divot. Here in Georgia, that would indicate maybe bolo stone. (WillJo sent me one, can sit up in all its perfect roundness by itself on its divot which accommodated bolo knot.)
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Chukelate1967
                  Chukelate1967 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's a great piece, almost perfectly round and it appears to have a divot about the size of a thumb. I also found a smaller one, about the size of a jawbreaker gum piece

Drop in at the Clarke -May museum in Circleville and see resident Archy Jeb Bowen, He can tell you all about it. Looks like a Hopewell roughed out preform out of FR material to me. You can also follow Jeb on Facebook where he almost daily posts points with instructive detail. Tell him I sent you.

Comment

Working...
                X