Should i have Restored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i have Restored?

One of my favorite artifacts of all are the Calf Creek variety. The skill and workmanship that went into these points simply amazes me! Yet i havent found a complete one in my years of hunting. Although i do have a couple that have what appears to be broken and reworked ears on them. One will be long and droopy, deeply notched with the other just a small stub but obviously reworked, possibly broken while being made and then salvaged or broken many years later and then reworked. I can only wonder. But i do have 2 Calf Creeks in particular that i am considering having professionally restored. Im still on the fence about it though. It isn’t permanent and can be removed and also will come with restoration certificates. I keep a 100% authentic, personal finds collection and feel like this would almost be like adding a fake to it. Or trying to deceive people. Which nobody ever sees my collection anyways but id still have to feeling. Even though they are broken they are two of my favorite artifacts and i can admire them still in the shape theyre in. What do yall think? Has anyone had any restored? If so, is it noticeable? The ones i have seen online appear to be perfect matches.
    Attached Files

Heartbreakers for sure. I think Calf Creeks are the neatest looking artifacts.
    South Carolina

Comment

• PaleoSnow
      PaleoSnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, idk if can call them that being i was happy to find them even in that condition!

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Still nice finds. Maybe you will find a complete one soon.

• PaleoSnow
      PaleoSnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! And i think youre right, mine will come one day! When the time is right it will come

Adding a restoration to your collection.Hmmm🤔...Here’s the deal , Just do it..If your integrity comes into question over it you didn’t have much integrity anyway and finally if you can’t do what you want with your toys why have em....I have certain restored items ...Food for thought: If your collection is your retirement and it’s enough to help out during those years, when you sell it it will come under scrutiny by very experienced collectors who absolutely know how to spot fakes or restoration..If it’s not worth much, it wasn’t gonna help you out anyways ...Mark em restored and be sure to post em ..
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
      PaleoSnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point Hal. Nobody has ever questioned anything ive shown them because they know exactly just what i do! I spend pretty much all of my free time hunting, collecting, scouting, researching, and trying to add new stuff to my ever growing collection. And they know i put in entirely to much time, miles, money, ect to just be buying or making them to put in my collection. And they just know how i am in general! But these days, people are always going to have their doubts and worries about things. You cant be to cautious these days. There are fake EVERY-THINGS going around right now and these people who make and sell them are good at what they do. Con artists and thieves is all they are. And make things hard for the good honest people, which are getting harder to find.

If you end up not liking the restoration you could always acetone it and get it back to as found.. dandy finds regardless!

Comment

• PaleoSnow
      PaleoSnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Right, im thinking if it comes out looking like the quality of the ones im seeing online then id be happy. Ive already gotten quotes from the 2 best, imo, restorers in the business. I want it done by the best and not try and save a dollar or two to cut corners. Thanks

I’ve got one that I’m about to send off to get restored. It’s a beautiful CC, and it seems a shame to not have it whole…

id do it.👍
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
      PaleoSnow commented
      Editing a comment
      See i kind of feel like it should be restored to it’s original glory and youd be honoring both the artifact and its maker by doing this. Like i said tho, still on the fence. But yall have given me things to consider before deciding. And please post before and after pics of your CC. Love to see it!

got a couple I am considering having restored also, they are special artifacts to me, don't think hurts the value, you can see it with backlight , tried it myself on a point with a broken base, harder than I thought it would be and didn't turn out that good , a suggestion I have not tried yet is using modeling clay
    beautiful points , that's a really deep notch !
    Last edited by LongStride; 12-03-2021, 09:32 PM.
    2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• PaleoSnow
      PaleoSnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Monetary value is only a matter if it were for sale, so that wont be a concern. Maybe i should just have some less meaningful ones done and then see how i feel. I think that may be best

I kinda like the story that heart breakers tell. The struggle to survive, the shot, the miss, or kill. Maybe it's the wanna be poet in me.
    South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      A poet you are in many ways,
      Not like ancient of days,
      But a man who walks the narrow way.

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Narrow Way Knapper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brother. 😁

The brown translucent one may not be one you will be happy with a restoration. A friend of mine had one restored which was similar material and the restoration was not translucent. Just a thought.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• PaleoSnow
      PaleoSnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know that. Thank you

Your point.. do as you wish.. I’m on the other side.
    defacing, tampering with any artifact that is thousands of years old is a joke.. adding plastic, resin, paint, glue or whatever they use takes away from what it truly is… modern knapping and restoration is not something I would even consider.. I would rather have a sliver of a authentic base to a Clovis then a fake wannabe. I have never bought a point or sold any of my finds.. keep them for what they are… don’t change them into what there not.. just saying….✌️
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• PaleoSnow
      PaleoSnow commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as modern knapping goes…..i think it is a really neat skill to possess as im sure it takes alot of time and practice to hone those skills like anything else requires. I actually use to know a guy who was amazing at it. He was disabled and got by from knapping and selling at shows and such. I know that by learning how to knap would teach me so much more about my artifacts and how exactly they were made. BUT i do not want to learn it! If anybody knew u could just knap a point out of any type at will, your whole collection would be scrutinized. If i feel the need to learn more about knapping techniques il just read up and try and learn that way.

• UpNorth
      UpNorth commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m the same way , all mine are personal finds, picked up by my hands.. I have several dozens gifted to me, many from good people on this site… they don’t “feel” right in my collection and have there own spot, in a different display.. I’m temporarily curator of them, they will one day go back to there finders….✌️

• PaleoSnow
      PaleoSnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly. I do have 3 points and a complete knife that were given to me by the disabled knapper i spoke of in exchange for some construction i did for him on his house to help him out. I didn’t expect anything for the work i did but he made these for me and insisted i accepted them. And i have them in a case of whatnots. Ive given away numerous points to neighbors kids, nieces, nephews, ect.
      But id never consider selling, trading or buying any. And ive had many generous offers for my finer artifacts and pots.

I have restored a couple and oddly, I just don't enjoy petting them anymore. Never restored an Andice. I love them just the way they are. I have 75 or so with an ear missing.

Comment

I'm also not a fan of restoration but as Glacial mentioned you can always change it back with acetone. Those look good the way they are.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Who have you got to do the resto? A LOT of FL collectors use "Dr. Gomer Pyles" I have never resto'd an artifact except for gluing two pieces together.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• PaleoSnow
          PaleoSnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes thats who i was considering. And Wayne Bushey as well. Both very good at what they do. Ugh u brought up gluing……reminds me of a bad thing that happened this summer. I had found several decent points one day, one of them being a really nice Dunn and probably my best of that type. I tossed all of them in a little cloth bag when got home and getting all my stuff out of truck as i had alot to carry and was wore out. Got inside and laid all my points out to take pictures and noticed the Dunn was missing an ear!!! What!!! I know it was perfect when i found it. Felt around in the bag and there it was. I guess i jostled them just enough to break it. Made me sick! I think ive only broken one that i can remember in the past. Whyd it have to be the best one though!!?

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess Gomer is still in Florida . I’ve not talked to him in, well I don’t remember .

Had to glue the ear back on. At least i was able to find it i guess
        Attached Files

Comment

To restore or not to restore? A personal choice. I've had about a dozen points restored. All came from sites that were later destroyed and there is no chance of ever finding the missing pieces. On the artifacts, I mark a catalog code that is followed by the letter "R" for restored. In my records I make it clear that any artifact with the R has been restored. I also have a file with before and after photos of the restored points. When showing those points I always mention that they were restored. I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            And thats they way it should be! Kudos

I PERSONALLY WOULD NOT RESTORE ANY POINT THAT I WOULD FIND. THEY WERE MEANT TO BE FOUND THAT WAY.
          THE ANCIENTS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIX THEM LIKE THE MODERN DAY RESTORATION FOLKS DO; ONLY RESHARPEN THEM.

PaleoSnow........................I LIKE YOUR POINTS JUST THE WAY THEY ARE. THEY LOOK GOOD.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Youre right. And being restored is far from being fixed, reworked, or usable. Its for looks alone. But i think theyre some pretty fine lookers the way they are. And im weird about my collection. I want to keep it 100% authentic and my personal finds. Restoring would almost be the same as having a reproduction in the midst of the other authentic relics. No bueno. Im passing on the resto im 99% sure. Nothing against those who do restoring either. They are very good at and skilled in what and how they do it. Its my feelings that wont allow it done bc i know theyd be handled and returned professionally and would look great as well. But in the mean time, ill keep looking for my whole CC. Itll come. Thanks bud
        Working...
        X