Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Double Grooved Axe???????

Hello
    This is from someone who said they picked this up at an estate sale in Pennsylvania. I have read that double groove axes are very rare. This looks and feels right to me but before I spend the time and money to get it authenticated I was wondering what fellow members think. Should I send it out or is it an obvious fake????? Thanks for your time

Welcome to the forum. Your axe is a hard call from pics. I don't see any glaring signs of modern tooling but the fact that these are so rare lends to doubt. I would find someone who is versed in hardstone to send it to. I really hope it turns out good and please let us know either way.
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks for the response. Could you recommend an authenticator for this type of piece? I am very excited about finding out. I know the odds are against it but the more I look at it the more I think this is the real deal. If it is I wonder what it could be worth??? I have seen only 2 from online auctions that were a little bigger and went for over $2,0000 !!

Comment

I really don't use them because I don't buy and sell anymore but Jim Bennett would be a good one. I am sure some will chime in on some other good ones.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Hello.   Better pics without the glare may help.  Try taking pics without flash in natural sunlight.
          Then I think people will be able to tell a little easier.   Gary
          South Dakota

Comment

I will try without flash this weekend and post. Thanks for the tip

Comment

Hi bebop-  even from the photos, it does look worth both time and expense to authenticate. It's a beautiful piece- and rare. Lucky guy!
              Riv.

Comment

I agree with Ray 100%, thanks for the look
                As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                NW Arkansas

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I have sent the piece to Ed Rowe for a look and hopefully a COA. If that checks out I will want at least one more. I will keep you all posted.

Comment

Working...
                  X