Tomahawk/arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomahawk/arrow

Any information on this 1800s Tomahawk?I know the arrow is made by the UTE indians,but not sure on other.All I know is they are authentic.

Joe, welcome to the forum.
    Unfortunately the " Tomahawk" is not authentic Ute. It appears to be modern in origin, the blade looks like a modern reproduction of a dovetail point, which wouldn't be used for a tomahawk nor originates in that part of the country.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I agree with Greg. The "tomahawk" is a modern piece, maybe made for the tourist trade. I can't tell anything about the arrow.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thank you for replies,I am no expert,I spent today searching the forums for information.I found this forum and figured I would give it a shot... I do know the Tomahawk came out of a museum that closed and was in a display case. Thank you agian for reply and information.

Comment

I will have to agree with the rest of the informed members that have posted here. It is modern, I have studied the Ute culture and have been to many of their campsites. If it were in a museum, some curator was duped. The beads are not correct and the hafting of the point would be all wrong as well. Think of it as the striking end force would leave the point dislodged. The notches would have been used to cement them from moving. I cannot see the point on the arrow so I do not know if this has validity. Sorry just my honest opinion.
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thats cool...they were givin to me,I am more into fossils. I am glad I found this forum.It looked like you guys knew your stuff and the explanations make good sence.Here is the Arrow head picture,does this look right?Might as well know about this also.....

Comment

they did points some what like that, but I have not seen it from the Utes. I have seen them from the Plains Indians and I would need to find those posts. but here is more of what you may find this was found I a Ute camp circa 1820's

here is a A wikieeup (teepee)

and some Metal points found in those camps.

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Sorry, I can't help you out on the arrow. It looks interesting but I don't have a clue on something like this.
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Gosh,thats ok! You guys helped out a  bunch...I guess the only ones I know are real are the ones I find on the ground....
                  Guess I will figure out what to do with them now.Thank you kindly for taking time to post and help me out.

Comment

NOT dissing this site, but try www.treasurenet.com .  a lot of experts and pros there.  Don't get me wrong- I love this site, but I think (really) there's a broader spectrum of experts there.  Yes..I could be wrong.  But you can always try...
                    Riv.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Eliza  In any event you are very welcome here and if you need any help with anything just ask!
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

PS some of the folks who post there post here as well.
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

as wayne would say, " soaking it all "
                          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                          NW Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                          X