Culpepper Collection & Other Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culpepper Collection & Other Info

Below is a letter that John Haberer wrote to me and Scott about the Culpepper Collection
    Jack and Scott
    Scott, thanks for providing the pictures of the infamous Culpepper collection and thank you Jack for taking the time to post.
    Brings back very old memories:
    I grew up in Temple and just started digging in 1964. I never met Culpepper nor saw his collection, but he was well known in the area. I did know Don Screws and that he had already sold his collection to Wallace. As someone else already said-Don sold it to WC for $100,000-$10,000 per year for 10 years. It took him years to get the final payment. Before he sold his collection, he was a digger/collector/buyer. Afterward, everything he dug or bought was for sale-mainly to WC. He once told me that he never had any intention of selling his collection, but when Wallace offered that much money, he couldn’t refuse. If you ever met Don, you know that was a small fortune to him. Dwain cherry picked a lot of WC's collection.
    Wallace had a large supply line, anywhere you went you would run into a group of diggers that were digging solely to sell to Don or Wallace. When Don and his boys showed up, you knew that site was going to have a short life. Back then, it was still legal to dig on Ft Hood and Belton Lake and there were several well known pay digs--Stampede Ck and Coryell Ck for $5 a day. Who knows, some 60,000+ acres of prime country with monster size camps. One camp on Cedar Creek was over several hundred yards long and +6’ deep, and after 20 years was still being dug. I personally saw a half dozen corner tangs found one summer. Hey, Horse Creek (Christner’s) was first dug during the proposed construction of Lake Belton in the ??30’s and is still being dug today.
    Like him or not, I doubt anyone has hand dug more points in Texas than Don. He coined (no pun) the name “penny” point for the then un-named Axtell. He is also the inventor of lots of other arrowhead slang-Comanche Perd, Squaw Knife, Darl Knife, or at least the very first person I heard using the term.
    Screws did get on a kick for a short time where he dug, bought or traded for every Andice he could. Mainly parts/fragments. He accumulated a very sizeable collection of Andice fragments, some several hundred. If I remember correctly, Carey Weber borrowed the collection to study for a paper he later wrote and published on Andice manufacturing technology.
    Errors and omission of memory are mine alone.
    John Haberer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2_21_2006_01 [replaced].jpg
Views:	545
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	214864

:woohoo: Amazing collection. And I find it very interesting how all the material is so similar. Much different than what I am used to. This goes to show just how important the private collectors are to the history of Native Americans for with out them we would never see such a display of wonderful artifacts. We are just keepers of these for a time. They will be here long after we are gone and no matter where they go right now they will someday be there for everyone to see and enjoy. Thank you Graywolf!!!

Comment

A masterful collection, I agree with you Ron, we are the keepers, and the private collectors and their study I think contribute to a major percentage of this great hobby we have. This site bringing it all together is a true blessing to me anyway. I hope to accumulate that much Ohio stuff in my lifetime, I am honored to say that I am a keeper, and a student. Thanks Graywolf, great stuff. Bill

Comment

WH
        Most of the artifacts in the collection are made of Edwards Plateau or Uvalde Gravels. The Edwards limestone formation contains seams, ledges, beds and nodules of high quality chert. It is often fine-grained and is grey to brown in color. The Uvalde Gravels are usally small lag gravels of Chert, quartz, quartzite, jasper, limestone and other silicified wood.

Comment

Working...
        X