No announcement yet.

Polished Discoidal or nutting stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G10  Used to crack nuts and like you said friction stone only the wood goes on the bottom and stone goes on top. Thanks dude

Comment

G10   To crack nuts without cracking the kernel, and you were right with the friction stone ,wood on the bottom the heavy stone on top.  Also to grind small amounts of herbs and medicine. Thanks Dude.

Comment

yup for smashing nut shells just like Wayne said. Wayne Asphaltum when it could be found by Indians was used to cement things all they did was heat it and paint it on. It was used in the South West as a pigment as well.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the info, is there a difference between nutting stone and the friction stone? or did they use same stone for both, IF there is a difference, how do u tell them apart?
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

G10 wrote:

Hey guys thanks for the info, is there a difference between nutting stone and the friction stone? or did they use same stone for both, IF there is a difference, how do u tell them apart?
            It's for exactly those reasons that non-controversial terms such as "cupstone" find favour these days. Some healthy debate here:

Seen this in a local thrift shop and it has caught my eye, but being the novice I am I would appreciate some feedback. http://vb5.arrowheads.com/media/kunena/a

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

thanks for the help guys , realy appreciate it !

Everett Williams ,
              NW Arkansas

Comment

okay- call me crazy (it's alright, I am-- I see an atlatl and arrow/atlatl spear at the bottom. I know there are tones of things that can 'stain' a rock- we have a lot of asphaltum around here and it tricks me every time...rrr.  But there just aren't too many things that look like an atlatl. Great nutter either way!
                Riv

Comment

Girl you made me go dig that thing out again! Now I can see what your talking about I think? Little crazy myself LOL. Thanks Eliza

Comment

Nutting Stones. ^^^
                    For covering up your acorns, so when a tree falls they don't get busted. lol
                      To the OP Nice Collection.

Comment

Awesome find.  However I don't think it is a Nutting Stone.  Most likely from the narrow point of view that is the apex of this fourm.  The experts have spoken.

Comment

I'm not trying to be an arse to you or your find.  Sorry.

Comment

This is not a Nutting stone of any sort.  Or anything of that matter. Neither is this. Just another natural formation. As I have been told by the experts on this forum.  Keep on looking. :unsure:
                             Attached files 

Comment

easy

Everett Williams ,
                            NW Arkansas

Comment

METALHEAD wrote:

I'm not trying to be an arse to you or your find.  Sorry.
                              Chris    The word forum means expression of ideas.  To me you are not being a arse at all I respect your option and want it, everybody in fact. Just enjoying the expressions. Thanks man, Wayne

Comment

Question for Metalhead- you said 'awesome find'. Then you said it was not a nutting stone (or whatever)and showed your piece.  Now... there are holes erroded into rock by water churning a smaller rock around and around making a perfectly round cylidrical hole into rock.  Then there are rocks which have scars and abrasion due to indirect impact- like crushing something with a pestle or mano. This piece has a river cobble patina, and yet is nowhere near other rocks- that's what he said... (but how about water- is there water nearby? Or obvious flow-'n-crush from ice-age?) I don't know.  I do know that Farmer's piece does not look like your example- your's is too perfect.  His is scared and random.  So what could it be?  A simple hammerstone which attained river patina over time? I don't know if there's water nearby or not, but I think we should at least ask the question, no?
                                Cheers!
                                Riverwalker

Comment

Working...
                                X