Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basal Thinning or Fluted? Opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basal Thinning or Fluted? Opinions please.

I recently made this frame and I see the draw backs of glueing down. Can not show the other side of the point in question. Would appreciate all opinions. And I think it is probably basal thinning. But you never know. Not to confident in my on opinion LOL!

farmerwayne no!  That's a nice set of points, you shouldn't have glued them, for a few reasons but not being able to study it is one of them.  It sure looks fluted to me, that's one heck of a Paleo piece!  Now that you mention it, we have to see the other side! lol

Comment

If it is indeed fluted it would be the only one I have ever found! Thanks Paleolution.

Comment

farmerwayne wrote:

Basal Thinning or Fluted? Opinions please Would appreciate all opinions.
          Yes indeed ...that is a fluted point.
        11KBP

Comment

Agreed, definitely fluted!....very nice point Wayne!
          Southern Connecticut

Comment

OK I can say this time, that point is fluted !. thats awesome wayne! what a frame, I glue them too lol.
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

I agree with the consensus. It does look like a fluted point. I sure would like to see the other side....hint hint.
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Fluted? heck yeah! And you glued it down?  Looks like your going to have to take Ray's hint and peel that thing off of there.
                Has a Folsom look to it, where's Chase?
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Two years ago I didn't know what a fluted point was. Thanks to you guys,arrowheads.com and a bunch books I'm getting there. It goes to shows you that you never to old to learn. Thanks again . Wayne

Comment

Nice one Wayne, my first thought was a Folsom looking point also. Like the others said think you will have to get it unglued and off that board so you can check other side. Congrats

Comment

spanky wrote:

Nice one Wayne, my first thought was a Folsom looking point also. Like the others said think you will have to get it unglued and off that board so you can check other side. Congrats
                      I think that most want to know, is it fluted on both sides. That would be more like classic Folsom. But both Clovis and Folsom can have single flute. The way this point appears looks like Folsom, but is far east of the pattern or region that they are found. From the first pick it looks like it has been re-touched once from where the basil grinding stops. On the left side of the point it appears that they left a corner, which is puzzeling, but still has the basil grinding?? If I was looking at this point I would say more clovis or a transition point which would be even better. That would be like a smoking gun!
                      Thanks for sharing! JMHO
                      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Nice point Wayne.  I'm happy for you.  Hope you remember where you found it.    Gary
                        South Dakota

Comment

farmerwayne wrote:

I recently made this frame and I see the draw backs of glueing down.
                            I would like to know how thick it is. The point was well used as it has been
                          resharpened and has damage to both the tip and one basal edge. It does not
                          exhibit the fine edge retouch often seen on Folsom points but that does not
                          discount it as being Folsom as much as being out of the normal Folsom distribution
                          range.
                          Without seeing and holding it in person I can't say for sure, but it certainly has
                          a Folsomoid look to it.
                          By the way, what kind of glue did you use?
                          11KBP

Comment

It is fluted, you can see where they set up to flut this artifact based on the small notch at the base which once a small bulb that was used as a striking platform to knock the through the point. It looks like a Clovis to me based on no fine edge work. Where was it found? Is the base ground?
                            Jack

Comment

What can I say but, nice one and it is not a common run-of-the-mill field grade point.
                              You've got several nice points in that set up.
                              Glued'em down you say,  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  looks like you did the same thing some others have done including myself.
                              Fortunately, I have always used Elmers "White" glue and with a little soak in water and they come right off.Elmer's will leave little on no residue. 
                              You did not use super glue, you did not use super glue, 
                              you did not use super glue................did you?
                              Don't use "Hot" glue either, never. Leaves an undesireable residue.
                              I helped somone who did this and it took a long time and acetone to clean them off.
                              There is never a down side to learning, unless you learn everything by
                              realizing "Hey I made this mistake before" an apiphinany we do not like to recall.
                              Fluted? You bet. Type? Well, I'd say "Clovinish" but I'm not the expert others are
                              but it surely is Paleo!!!!!
                              Jess B
                              It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                              It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                              Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
                              X