Rogers side hollow /Brazos fishtail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogers side hollow /Brazos fishtail

Are there any examples around ? Most think they’re just San Patrice that shows there attempt to move westward ?

I’ve found 3. Click image for larger version

Name:	B6271C5A-EA29-490F-AF7A-BA550C48E6AE.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	643272Click image for larger version

Name:	9296A1E9-B70D-427F-A6A4-223C089A48A6.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	643273
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy smokes.

Rarer than a Bigfoot!

• west_texas_arrowheads
      west_texas_arrowheads commented
      Editing a comment
      G10 lindenmeier !! I’ve heard of some found in our area but not many .

• Overshot
      Overshot commented
      Editing a comment
      Super nice point! I know of one found in Lamesa. It was 3 inches and spectacular!

that's a dandy.
    Utah

Comment

I have 2. They are sanpatrice but a finely made and rare form.
      Last edited by Garguy; 06-29-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Someone had several of them at the Paleo American Odyssey Conference in 2013, and it was hard to see any significant differences between a Rodgers Side Hollow and San Patrice points.

The only significant difference is density on sites. A San Patrice Camp in East Texas can produce a shocking number of points. You'll never see that density in West Texas or NM. It could have just been population density and years of occupation in the east (San Patrice makers probably stayed at a good camp for generations), or it might indicate that the Rodgers Side Hollow makers were just passing through the area infrequently.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Originally posted by clovisoid View Post
          Someone had several of them at the Paleo American Odyssey Conference in 2013, and it was hard to see any significant differences between a Rodgers Side Hollow and San Patrice points.

The only significant difference is density on sites. A San Patrice Camp in East Texas can produce a shocking number of points. You'll never see that density in West Texas or NM. It could have just been population density and years of occupation in the east (San Patrice makers probably stayed at a good camp for generations), or it might indicate that the Rodgers Side Hollow makers were just passing through the area infrequently.
          So if they don’t have really significant differences how would you tell a San Patrice vs rsh / brazos fishtail if one was at a show ? Since obviously the rsh /bf will command a premium since they’re “rarer” in a since ?
          Attached Files

Comment

• clovisoid
            clovisoid commented
            Editing a comment
            This was a professional archaeology conference in Santa Fe. So mostly museum collections, and a few private collections invited by the hosts (non-commercial collectors.)

I think some grad-students presented a paper on them, and had a selection of them from documented sites.

Show us the other two! :-)

Comment

I had to find these and it took some effort gang. One is fish tail , other is Side Hollow. Click image for larger version

Name:	06427694-DCDE-4B03-BFB1-C74DF975242D.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	645898Click image for larger version

Name:	7B7DB2F1-86A3-432B-8DAC-B7F826E8A4F1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	645899
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

The San Patrice point is a type of Late Paleoindian point that is typically found in the southeastern United States, while the Rodgers Side Hollow point is a type of projectile point commonly found in the Great Plains and southwestern United States.
              There are many different types of projectile points found in North America, and while there are similarities between some types, there are also distinct differences that allow archaeologists to differentiate between them. It can be challenging to identify a specific type of point based solely on a photo or description, as the diagnostic features may not be visible or may be weathered or damaged.
              It's possible that the differences in the number of San Patrice points found in East Texas versus West Texas or New Mexico could be related to factors such as population density, subsistence practices, or environmental conditions. However, without more detailed archaeological and environmental data, it's difficult to draw definitive conclusions.​
              Last edited by painshill; 04-20-2023, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• BoilerMike
                BoilerMike commented
                Editing a comment
                I noticed this comment reads a lot like a ChatGPT or another AI response. This poster only had 3 posts and was banned, but never said anything offensive. Is that why? Weird. I wonder what somebody’s motivation was - maybe making a bunch of bots sign up on message boards to study how well they can blend in? If so: FAIL!

• painshill
                painshill commented
                Editing a comment
                This poster's email address has database entries for spam posts on other websites, and so too does the P address which traces to Vietnam.

I have one that resembles the two but Papered as a Pelican... I tend to go with Hope variety San Patrice...

Comment

Working...
              X