Squares and Triangles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squares and Triangles

So whats the story on all of the square and triangle shaped artifacts ive found over the years and continue finding? Here are just a few examples of what im talking about, square and triangle forms, knapped all the way around. Could they be broken bases and or tips that were repurposed into small thumb scrapers? Most of these i have found are from S-AR but i have a handfull or two from E-TX. Ive heard the old flintlock stories as well but i wouldnt imagine these being used as such. Some are worked very nicely, and have beautiful flaking. What are y’alls thoughts on these such artifacts. They are cool to find and have always made me wonder about their purpose.
    Attached Files

interesting topic. I've found similar over the years and wondered what the purpose of these were.
    Utah

Comment

It's always fun to try to imagine what a tool was used for. I have three that look every bit like a guitar pick.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Absolutely Ron. And i always handle and grip them as if i were going to use them and then i can tell if the maker was right handed or not! Haha. I cant be the only one! Some of them just fit the hand so perfectly, or have wear, or been smoothed down from hand held use. You just know and can feel how it was used alot of times. But some i flip, turn, twist, roll, spin and yet still im left wondering, what in the world did they use this for?

Comment

They are worked very nicely and great material. The black tri almost look pyramidal from that view.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            It sure does. Ill take some better pictures tomorrow and i also found one to add to them this evening. Ill share as soon as i can. Thanks

Those edges looks pretty steep, probably scrapers.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I have a few along these lines as well. I believe a people as resourceful as Native Americans found opportunity where a people such as us see broke stuff. So something like an arrowhead or larger tool that broke would be repurposed like you said. Maybe even a flake that came off of a separate project sparked someone’s interest and a new tool is born.

Comment

Working...
            X