Barbed Clovis???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbed Clovis???

Well.... I’m going on my third month of floating around the Gulf of Alaska. This past year, my love for artifact hunting grew exponentially. I miss it a lot... not even the knowing that I’ve made enough $ to take the rest of the year off and do nothing but look for pretty rocks makes me feel better right now... a little over a month and I’ll be back in Tennessee🥳...
    anyways.... on days like today, when I’m stuck on the boat but it’s too rough to chase king salmon(and i’m not in town, where there are girls to chase😁)I browse the internet reading about arrowheads. Lately I’ve been considering doing something never done, and never thought I’d ever do; buy a point. I’ve never bought one before. Just doesn’t have the same meaning to me. I’m sure I’d feel a lot different if I couldn’t walk into my backyard and find a g-10 4” copena and a 9500 year old , near- perfect 3” pine tree on any given day(or the same day...)
    recently i came across this point on Etsy... it’s a ‘barbed Clovis.’ The seller had dozens of perfect points for sale. He claims to have found them while doing grading for construction projects. makes sense, right? He wants like $400 for the 4” Clovis, which seems really cheap to me, there’s also a 5” g-10 Missouri Dalton for sale, less than $200. I try to always give people the ‘benefit of a doubt,’ but I’m especially wary of cheap points for sale the internet. When I looked at all the points he has up for sale, a lot of them sell to be made of the same material; pickwicks, Clovis, suwanee... just seemed strange, especially given the other red flags(ie cheap price, perfect condition....ETSY...)
    I Know I’ve answered my own question, but has anyone ever heard of a ‘barbed Clovis?’ Thoughts on this one??
    Thanks,

Never seen one before. Sounds like he is selling mucho fakes! Here is a real Golondrina found in the San Marcos river several years ago that has barbs similar to the point you posted except this one is absolutely authentic.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Overshot; 08-15-2022, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Pickwick
      Pickwick commented
      Editing a comment
      That point is insane

Looks fresh from below the barbs? but I know nothing about Clovis

Comment

There is one famous, and "barbed" Clovis. Google the Rutz Clovis, lots of pictures of it out there. It's very different than the one you are showing.

The piece Overshot pictured is a really unique example, and once the dust settled after it was first posted, lots of "similar" examples of them have been listed for sale on sites, auctions, Craigslist.

It sounds like you've answered your own question about this seller. But in general, if you don't buy points regularly, don't buy expensive points on Etsy/Ebay/Auction sites. And unfortunately, you can't depend on certificates of authenticity.

There are some decent auctioneers, a couple of good authenticators, and plenty of great sellers. The main page of this site, is a great resource.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Pickwick
        Pickwick commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for response. I’ve seen the RC before, the ‘barbs’ are not quite the same, but I see what you’re saying. Yeah, def answered my own question on that one...

• Pickwick
        Pickwick commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for response. I’ve seen the RC before, the ‘barbs’ are not quite the same, but I see what you’re saying. Yeah, def answered my own question on that one...

I handle the Rutz Clovis at temple a few years ago. As Clovisoid said, it has the bumps. I'm guessing the ebay item is a spoof of that.

Comment

Hay Pick, I'm leary of that point too. Advice is buy from reputable dealers. When you get back go to some shows. There you get to meet the sellers. And you can have other sellers take a look at what you want to buy. On another note I once bought a good Clovis on ebay that was listed as a "grooved Arrowhead" the guy didn't have any other Artifacts up for sale and didn't have any idea of the Clovis he sold me. It cost me $20.00 plus shipping. Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I can 100% guarantee you that point is fake, along with most of the stuff from that seller. I'm no expert or anything... I just know... From experience 🙄😏

Comment

• Garguy
            Garguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Well I don't know you Edd but I like you already

😁 hey, if it helps somebody else out., Worth it

Comment

Working...
          X