Patination. Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patination. Right?

The duller/lighter colored film is patination, right? Still not sure I can always correctly identify patination.

Strange it almost looks like it stayed partially buried somewhere for quite some time to create this effect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220901_093227_7970.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	652863Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220901_093307_7298.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	652862Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220901_093234_2689.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	652860

And I don't know where I got this, but for some reason when I see breakage like this, I think heat treated. Is that right?

Name:	Resized_20220901_093243_2348.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	652859Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220901_093252_8506.jpg
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	652861

Insitu, Aug 15, 2020

Name:	Capture.png
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	652864

Looking forward to the answers.
    Thanks for topic and cool point
    Missouri

Comment

In picture 2, left side maybe 1/3 ending 1/2 roughly that fracture is different color than the parts not fractured. That is showing the patina on the non fractured part. The white, ha I've no idea.
      This is all just guessing and me trying to see what others see right off the bat.
      I'm looked up definition of patina and the white could fall into that.
      I'm easily confused.
      Last edited by outlaws15; 09-01-2022, 09:40 AM. Reason: definition of patina
      Missouri

Comment

the white is part of the host lithic. patina is picked up over time from soil / plant leaching sun bake. hard water/ minerals.
        Utah

Comment

• outlaws15
          outlaws15 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking along those lines, but a little different.The piece being heat treated cause of it being glossy. I was thinking the white was because of it being heat treated and a reaction to that heat. Smbore has the word host in the post I think of parasite and the white being the parasite. Why didn't I pay more attention in school?

• smbore
          smbore commented
          Editing a comment
          imo i dont think it's been heat treated. the gloss is a good quality lithic... yes the white is part of the rock.

• outlaws15
          outlaws15 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's cool I would not of known that

I agree with smbore's analysis on the white portion of the stone and that it is glossy because its just a good quality of stone. In picture 3 it appears that there is a yellowish tint to the white area that might be a hint of patina.....that's just a guess though without seeing it in hand.
        Last edited by Pointblank; 09-02-2022, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys! I now think this rock is cooler than I previously thought to have that 2-tone. Shame that tip is missing. You can see in the insitu that a leaf and another rock was covering the tip when I picked it up.

I had hoped it was whole.

Name:	Capture.png
Views:	236
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	652902

Comment

This looks like patina

Name:	D4B13A8E-27D1-40AC-BEEA-498E52A61C0F.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	652907
            South Dakota

Comment

My guess is that it hasn't been heated. The white color is naturally occurring inside the rock, and the gloss is of high grade.
              geometry dash

Comment

Soak and wash the material to get the loose debris off. Dish washing liquid, acetone, and water will not remove any patina. The remaining elements on the surface will be the true patina from the minerals that have actually attached and become part of the stone. Always look in the hinges and under crevices for mineral deposits or discolored staining. If it washes off then it is not actually patina. The absolute best way that I found to identify patina is to take a small chip off the stone and compare the surface to the surrounding area on the stone. Not recommended on good artifacts but works great on study pieces like old broken points and preforms made from similar materials. A jewelers loupe is perfect for viewing at 10x magnification.
                SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I agree with those saying that the white or light color is part of the parent stone. But I'd guess the whole thing is patinated. If freshly broken, the fresh material would be a different shade than the now visible surface. I've attached a photo of a large knife blade that I plowed out. The piece was dinged by the plow removing a thin flake. The darker non patinated material is clearly evident. Upper Mercer (Coshocton) material.Click image for larger version

Name:	ArtifactPatination.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	653514

Comment

I also think that the lighter color is part of the parent stone and not a patina.

Comment

Working...
                    X