Patination and NA recycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patination and NA recycling

I've always thought this was an interesting study piece. I found this in 2 pieces on separate trips and glued it together. It broke in the middle of the blade portion I've recovered.

It appears that a native picked this up many years after it was produced and tried to salvage the blade edge,.

As what Artifascinanation pointed out in another post of mine asking about patination, the rework that has been done to this blade edge removed a layer of patination. The color under the more recent chipping is a reddish color and the rest of the piece seems to be patinated with a tan color.

Also, the break on the tip seems to be about the same age as the rework to the blade edge as it is also reddish in color. The break to the base appears to be a more ancient break that occurred closer to the time it was manufactured as the patination is the same tan color.

This seems to show not only patination, but also shows that natives recycled pieces that were made way before their time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220909_103049_3193.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	654108Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220909_103100_8581.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	654107

Tip break is more reddish like the rework to the blade edge. The break on the base is the same tan color as the rest of the piece.

Name:	Resized_20220909_103435_7868.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	654105Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220909_103109_4419.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	654106

Wow. That is good study piece, coz I can see red where patination chipped away. Good gluing job, btw!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• DiversionHound
      DiversionHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks yeah I have been lucky enough to glue 3 pieces together and have used plain ol' white Elmer's glue every time. It dries clear, does not change the color of the rock, and holds well. I have had no issues with things I have glued together 30 yrs ago using it.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Hal uses mixture Elmers, duco, water when he puts pottery back together. I love stories where pieces found separately different times. WillJo gotta story with twin sons finding halves point 20 yrs apart….

• DiversionHound
      DiversionHound commented
      Editing a comment
      The only bad thing I've noticed about using straight Elmer's glue is that if you get any on the surface, it does dry shiny.

It's always interesting to see the pieses that were broken when thrown, broken in manufacture, and especially those that were picked up and reworked.

Here's a hafted scraper from Oregon that was reworked after some of the patina formed. It would be cool if we could know how much time elapsed between the first and last flaking.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	654123Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	654125Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	654124
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• DiversionHound
      DiversionHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it! That's a really cool scraper by the way. That material is awesome. Some nice flaking too. It really adds to the piece knowing that multiple cultures have utilized it. I've heard stories of native burials being found with points that were from a much older time than the burial. For example, a Woodland burial with Archaic pieces. It seems the natives appreciated the style, workmanship, and artistic abilities associated with tool making. I imagine there would be some prowess associated with a good tool maker, especially seeing their survival was dependent on it.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      One of the reasons I luv brokes!

On one occasion, I learned that a native had collected/curated an older point, not through a change in patina, but because the point in question was found far from the water, yet was clearly water worn. For whatever reason, some prehistoric individual had collected a point off a beach, and brought it home. Well, isn’t that what I do, lol? They collected fossils and brought them home too….
    Rhode Island

Comment

• DiversionHound
      DiversionHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, that's interesting. I remember as a kid visiting an uncle in Claiborne Co TN. He showed me "beads" that I dismissed as just Crinoid fossils because I used to find them in the creeks in in KY all the time. But it came to me that those fossils were not found there natively. These fossils were found at a known camp site in Claiborne Co TN. There were also shells at this site too from the Gulf I suppose.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, of course! Some prehistoric Cecilia dumped important stuff she was packing so she could bring home every shell on beach!

UV and Black lights can be interesting with some materials. You can really see the differences in patinas well. (And with many other materials it does absolutely nothing.)

I'd bet a lot of the later, agricultural groups in your area found and recycled points and tools from earlier groups. They were clearing fields and river bottoms with hand tools and flint spades, they probably tossed any rock they found just to avoid breaking their own tools.

Some of the groups in Montana and Saskatchewan recovered points from big bison kill sites (jumps, and other bone beds) when access to quarries in Eastern Montana and the Dakotas was limited.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
    X