Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Knife?

Hi!
    I am new to this so please bear with me..
    In October my wife and I were at South Padre Island in Texas for a vacation. We were going for a walk on the beach at the North side of the Island and I looked down in about 6 inches of water. I first thought I was looking at a piece of glass, as just the edge was showing. Thinking there was a good chance someone might step on it I picked it up and what I picked up is in the picture. I think it must have been exposed in the sand for just a few minutes and it would have been buried again in the tide within a few more waves..

A real beauty fer-shur.
    This type of blade/knife is in a transitional state as far as a name goes.
    I believe they were called "Covington" not sure just what the "experts" decided to call them now.
    Really nice lithics, color is very desireable.
    I pick up glass too, if we all keep our beaches clean it would give us all peace of mind.
    Lots of points have come off the coast over the years. There's more out there.
    Congrats on your accidental find and bringing it here for us to see. 
    Jess B.
    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
    Circa:1982

Comment

Thanks for the info Jess...I'm not an avid collector, I did buy a book about Indian artifacts in Texas to try and educate myself a little bit, but all I got was confused! I just look at the thing and wonder how old it is...try to imagine the person making it. My first reaction was just wow!..look what I found!..Then all these questions start coming to mind..

Comment

That is a very fine artifact you have there. Congrats on your first find. Oh, welcome to the forum.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

La la la, just walking down the beach, oh what's this?
          Holy smokes! and it's your first?
          Nice! You got to love dumb luck.
          And welcome!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Jim welcome to the forum that is one fine looking knife. All of those questions you asked yourself are what makes this hobby so great. Congratulations on your first find!
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I guess loosing a fishing knife aint exactly a new thing haha...

Comment

very nice find  be careful thats how it starts rubbing something like that and thinking about the guy that made it next thing you know your out there looking for more thanks for sharing and welcome from Fl.

Comment

The one you found is called an Archaic Bi-Face. Its made of Edwards Plateau Chert. The large flake scares are made by the percussion method. This is a very nice artifact.
                  Archaic Bi-Face.

Jack

Comment

Beautiful knife. You spotted it in the nick of time. How cool is that? Great find.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

It is very unfortunate you found this. Here is what is going to happen to you:
                      You will find yourself holding the knife...alot.
                      You will find yourself searching the internet for information on artifacts and how to find them.
                      You will go back to the beach and walk for hours...even if it is raining.
                      You will check this forum daily.
                      You will become an expert.
                      You will start to find broken arrowheads.
                      You will falsely think your addiction will end when you find a perfect clovis.
                      You will not find a perfect clovis.
                      Welcome!

Comment

robshap wrote:

It is very unfortunate you found this. Here is what is going to happen to you:
                        You will find yourself holding the knife...alot.
                        You will find yourself searching the internet for information on artifacts and how to find them.
                        You will go back to the beach and walk for hours...even if it is raining.
                        You will check this forum daily.
                        You will become an expert.
                        You will start to find broken arrowheads.
                        You will falsely think your addiction will end when you find a perfect clovis.
                        You will not find a perfect clovis.
                        Welcome!
                        This will continue to repeat along with always looking down and having a sore neck and or back all the time from looking down or bending over so much to look at rocks
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

All true! Except the walking on the beach part as I was on Vacation and its an 8 hour drive from my house in Texas to get there..Right after I picked up the knife I took a picture...Had a camera in my pocket..Then when I got back to the hotel I put a placemark on google earth..
                          Thanks to everyone for the comments and Information!
                             Attached files 

Comment

newsforjim wrote:

All true! Except the walking on the beach part as I was on Vacation and its an 8 hour drive from my house in Texas to get there..Right after I picked up the knife I took a picture...Had a camera in my pocket..Then when I got back to the hotel I put a placemark on google earth.. lat=xx.244213165, lon=-xx.1837351122..So thats within 50 feet of where I found it, also 20 miles north of the mouth of the xxxxx...
                            Thanks to everyone for the comments and Information!
                              If you are planning on returning to hunt this location sometime in the future I would definitely suggest
                            removing the location given in this post.
                            -11KBP

Comment

I agree you can edit that out of the post for sure. If you dont next time you return to that area there will only be footprints!

Comment

Working...
                              X